Mister Joe

jenochs

currently my company is using a pvu plus 15 sending info from a plc5 to a uticor display using a mlogix 1100. the mlogix 1100 sends string data to the uticor thru an AIC module.
I''m wondering if there is a way to bypass the mlogix 1100 and send string data directly from the pvu + to the uticor display

Welcome to the Forum, Joe !

The PanelView Plus 1500 terminal has an RS-232 serial port that can be used by RSLinx Enterprise or by KepServer Enterprise. Both can be loaded simultaneously on the PanelView terminal, but only one can use the serial port.

KepServer Enterprise has a Universal Configurable "UCON" driver. It allows you to bind KepServer tags to various parts of a serial transaction process that you configure inside KepServer.

One of the things I've seen done with the UCON driver is transmission of ASCII data to simple message displays.

I don't know anything about the physical connection or the UTICOR brand display you are using, but KepServer and the UCON driver might be a solution for you.

Unless you are very familiar with ASCII and willing to put in the time to learn the UCON driver, (it's not easy) it makes more sense to me to stick with an already-functioning MicroLogix solution.

Thanks for the reply Ken. The display is a uticor 1100. The problem i am having is that alarm messaging seems to be the only way to send ascii to the uticor. I'm wanting to use the alarm messaging for the pvu+ only and am trying to figure a simple way to send operator instruction messages only to the uticor. The messaging source is actually sourced from a plc5/40e and all comm ports being used. Maybe I should look for some type of e-net to rs232 converter device seeing how we are using a netgear e-net switch with available ports. Is there such a thing?