gsv and ssv instruction

jcole1

Hello guys and gals.

I have a processor instruction being used in one of my compactlogix called GET SYSTEM VALUE with the following info:

Class Name-ControllerDevice
Instance Name-
Attribute Name-Status
Dest-Processor_Status

I do not understand the field names (class, instance, attribute) or where controllerdevice and status come from. Its obvious something is being put in a tag called processor status which is an int data type but I can not figure out the purpose or where the data is coming from.

Could somebody enlighten me?

THanks for the replies.

regarding the following GSV terms:

Class
Instance
Attribute

turns out that they're basically just "blanks" that you may (or may not) have to fill in to get the GSV or SSV to work ...

secret handshake: don't worry about the differences between the three terms ... just click and select whatever you need from the "pull down" menus available for each ...

and here's a "general idea" post that might be helpful ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=337631&postcount=4

Last edited:
Best way to look at the Class, Instance and Attribute fields...

Class - What am I interested in?
A Task? A Module? A routine? etc....
Instance - Which one?
Which task? Which module? Which Routine? etc....
Attribute - What do I want to change(SSV)/know(GSV) about it?
Last Scan Time? Fault Code? Inhibit Flag?
etc...
Destination holds the tag to store the data I/m asking for (GSV) or the datas I want to send to the controllers status (SSV).
--------------------------------------------------
Another analogy.

Class - What am I intrested in?
Answer: The houses on Maple Street.
Instance - Which house?
Answer: 3712 Maples Street.
Attribute - What do I want to know about it?
Answer: The color of the house.

Destination contents: Green
-----------------------------------------------------
Some of the Class choices (CONTROLLER, WALLCLOCKTIME, SERIALPORT) will result in no choice for Instance because there can only be one CONTROLLER, WALLCLOCKTIME, etc.

All the info for GSV and SSV is built into the RSLogix5000 help system.

Simply click on the instruction name (GSV or SSV) and hit "F1".

The first page shows general info about GSV and SSV (usage, examples etc.). Scroll to the bottom of this first page and see the links for "GSV/SSV Objects". Follw these links to get detailed data on what the instructions are addressing in the System Value area.

HTH