New Computer - Choose Virtual Machine

In this thread, people describe how horrible automation software is...

Epy,

When a question is asked, most everyone on this site will give the good, bad, ugly answers based on their experiences.
In regards to the post, we are offering our preferences as to hyperv vs. VMware or other software.
We are also suggesting things to do and not to do when installing
programming software.

We installed a demo software package for review and uninstalled it on 2 pc's. it crashed both hard drives when we uninstalled it. we later found out on this web site other users experiences. We lost several days due to that issue, so anything a user posts on the website as to their experiences to help someone else avoid heartache is more than welcome in my opinion.

james

Thanks for the responses. I'm pushing to go with VMWare Workstation Pro for my machine. The computer has a i7-7820HQ processor, 16 GB of RAM, and a 512GB M.2 PCIe hard drive so I should be good to go with a VM. Our licensing is going to restrict me to a single VM at a time so I should be more than sufficient to run that. I'm planning on just keeping Rockwell in that VM (no Schneider to break things :D)

For future people, I did find this link about Hyper-V USB support which I found informative:
http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-usb/
You can see the mess that would be involved in trying to get it to work (network - IP - based USB adapter). What could go wrong with that?

Thank you Operaghost for the hint on the Extension Pack licensing issues. You laid out a very informative post.

Hyper-V worked fine last time I used it. I have never had issues with software not working as it should within Hyper-V.

The downside for me was the lack of USB support for connecting to external devices such as a PLC. Which, I understand that is intentionally the philosophy to make the VM isolated from the host. But, when I need to connect to a device via USB and I can do so with VMware Workstation it made Hyper-V a non starter.

VirtualBox had a similar issue with USB. Maybe that is resolved now. But I also ran into issues with their licensing. Everyone talks about how it is free, but it isn't free if you are using the Extension Pack (you really need it) for commercial use. Licenses are $50 each with a minimum order of 100. Plus an $11 support fee (x100). Maybe there is a way around that minimum purchase. I didn't investigate further.

For me, I started with VMware and that is what I choose. I have tried Hyper-V and VirtualBox and they both seemed very capable and if I did not require USB support I think either would do the job just fine. VirtualBox licensing would probably push me to use Hyper-V though.

OG

Though if I didn't have the Windows licensing issues, it would have been nice to have Studio5000 and FTView on different VMs. That way when FTView crashed (which is often), I could restart just that VM and keep operating in Studio5000 while I waited for it to come back.

Epy,

When a question is asked, most everyone on this site will give the good, bad, ugly answers based on their experiences.
In regards to the post, we are offering our preferences as to hyperv vs. VMware or other software.
We are also suggesting things to do and not to do when installing
programming software.

We installed a demo software package for review and uninstalled it on 2 pc's. it crashed both hard drives when we uninstalled it. we later found out on this web site other users experiences. We lost several days due to that issue, so anything a user posts on the website as to their experiences to help someone else avoid heartache is more than welcome in my opinion.

james

I didn't mean that in the way that you took it, simply complaining that there are so many issues with all the different automation software that we have to jump through hoops like this.

Epy,

no offense taken.
I was just trying to point out that the members here will point out everything on a particular topic, good or bad.
they will also help anyone avoid heartache by telling them lessons learned the hard way.

james

I've heard nothing but horror stories running FTV Studio ME, and studio 5000 on windows 10. I have 2 Laptops at work for programming, both have windows 10 Pro, running Studio 5000 v30 down to v24, and FTV studio 9.0. Haven't had a problem yet with either. Maybe i'm just lucky as hell lol

Epy,

no offense taken.
I was just trying to point out that the members here will point out everything on a particular topic, good or bad.
they will also help anyone avoid heartache by telling them lessons learned the hard way.

james

(y)

since we on the subject, anyone know how to convert a .vdmk oracle image to one that expands? i'm out of disk space.

oh, and isn't it awesome how our automation project has to have 0 bugs, yet the software we use to make said automation project has a gazillion?
we should all pat ourselves on the back right now.

VMWare Workstation Pro is fine - just use a different VM for the various brands as they will eventually kill each other!
I have a new workstation with Windoze 10 Pro x 64 bit,whacking processor, Samsung SSDs, nVidia beast - works a treat - so fast. Have the same OS on the laptop as well and an SSD.
The only PLC software suite I have running straight in the OS is Omron - it plays nice with everything - shut it down and there is nothing left running that interferes with anything else.
Every other brand goes in a separate VM.
Many keep the Modbus driver or something running and locks up the serial port or whatever else - I could go on but software for the different brands have driven me nuts over the years.

As with a real PC

Hi ganutenator,

I've done it several times with VMware and VirtualBox. You do it in the same way you'd do it with a regular PC. The steps would be:

1. Add a bigger disk to the VM.

2. Clone the small disk to the bigger one. I use Clonezilla liveCD. Mount the iso in the CD drive of the VM and boot from it.

3. Resize the partition using a tool able to do that. I use Gparted liveCD.

4. Done

Best regards,
Kelkoon

since we on the subject, anyone know how to convert a .vdmk oracle image to one that expands? i'm out of disk space.