Going online with a 5/04 with a PV550 already connected...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi guys,

Allen Bradley's communication methods always confuse me... o_O

I am working on a machine with a PV550 connected to a SLC 5/04 through the DB9 port (Channel 0). The PanelBuilder and RSLogix settings show they're connected via DH485. I have no trouble connecting my laptop to the 5/04 through the DB9 port, but I would like to be able to connect my laptop to the 5/04 WITHOUT having to disconnect the PanelView. This only needs to be temporary for debugging.

Do I really need to stick an AIC+ interface on BOTH the PLC and HMI ends just to get an extra port for my laptop to connect? I don't need to talk to the PanelView. I just want to be able to monitor the 5/04, but WITH the PanelView still connected.

There are 2 unused connections on the 5/04. There's DH+ (Channel 1) via a terminal block and 8-pin mini-din connector. Can I somehow connect through one of these ports? If so, what will I need, and will I need to change any settings in the PLC? Channel 1 is currently set to DH+/57.6K Baud/Node 1. I already have a 1747-UIC interface, and can borrow an AIC+ interface if needed.

Any ideas?

šŸ»

-Eric

Before you got this system, there was a conversation that went something like this:

"We need to get a PanelView with DH+ to connect to that 5/04 controller."
"No, we can save $400 by using this old one with DH485/RS232 and connecting it to the serial port."
"But the serial port should be left for programming and troubleshooting. And what if the user wants to connect to the SLC while the PanelView is connected ?"
"That's his problem."

If you had a DH+ interface like a 1784-PCMK or the 1784-U2DHP, you could connect right up to the DH+ connector on the SLC-5/04 and be off to the races.

Since you have a 1747-UIC, that's what you should use.

Install a 1761-NET-AIC "between" the SLC-5/04 Channel 0 and the PanelView 550 serial port. This will allow them to communicate on the DH485 network just like if they were still plugged in together. I'll bet you a donut they are set up as Node 1 and Node 2.

This leaves the trunk port of the 1761-NET-AIC to connect a DH485 device, which will be the 1747-UIC USB/DH485 interface. Switch it to use the DH485 port (the RJ45 modular jack) and connect it to the 1761-NET-AIC's DH485 trunk port using a 1761-CBL-AS03 or equivalent cable.

This won't help but you can program the 504 using a 1784-PCMK card with a PCM6/B cable through the 8 pin port using DH+ . Last time I checked the card was around $2500. You can pick one up on ebay but they are still not cheap. The card can connect using DH+ DH485 and RIO using different cables.

Perfect solution, Ken!... I didn't realize I could connect my UIC to the 'trunk port' of an AIC... šŸ™ƒ

Many thanks as always!... :site:

šŸ»

-Eric

Oh, and you're probably right about that initial conversation... :rolleyes:

Success!

And just to follow up... I connected everything up today and, whaddya know, it actually worked!... :)

For future reference: I used the existing PanelView to PLC cable to connect the PLC to the AIC's DB9 port, and my MicroLogix programming cable (CBL-PM02) from the mini-DIN to the PanelView (with a null-modem adapter). I grabbed a chunk of CAT5 and crimped on an RJ-45 plug, then wired the other end to the RS-485 port with the help of boldives post of the schematic. A shot of 24V to the AIC, and RSLinx found both nodes on the first browse!... (y)

Ken comes through once again!... :geek:

šŸ»

-Eric

P.S. They were indeed set up as Node 1 and Node 2, so here you go!...
attachment.php

Before you got this system, there was a conversation that went something like this:

"We need to get a PanelView with DH+ to connect to that 5/04 controller."
"No, we can save $400 by using this old one with DH485/RS232 and connecting it to the serial port."
"But the serial port should be left for programming and troubleshooting. And what if the user wants to connect to the SLC while the PanelView is connected ?"
"That's his problem."

Very well said, Ken. :)
That made my visit here tonight, I'm still chuckling.