T View studio 8.2 String Input Sizing?

blperkins

I must be doing something wrong, But I don't understand what.

I have 8 String Input boxes on a display. The function works for all of these boxes. I can enter values, and they update correctly.

All I want to do to resize them to make them align with other controls on the display. So, I open the individual String Input Properties window and under the "Common" tab I enter in a new size (25,115), hit ok to apply the new settings and all looks good. But all is not good, if I open the Size tab again the size is set to (26,114). And those sizes look like hell next to the other controls on the display.

I looked for grid and snap, both are Off under the grid setting.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Nothing. You're doing nothing wrong. The numeric and string input objects on FTView SE are a hideous mess, and have never worked properly.

I tend to create my own entry popups and/or put them in front of a plain white panel so that I can make all the white panels look the same, regardless of the size of the entry field in front

So, I open the individual String Input Properties window and under the "Common" tab I enter in a new size (25,115), hit ok to apply the new settings and all looks good. But all is not good, if I open the Size tab again the size is set to (26,114).
When you change height and width in the Common tab, FTV will try to process your request taking into account the font size used in the box and the number of lines / characters declared in General tab (under Dimensions, width = number of characters, height = Lines).

That said, the change from the pair (26,114) to (25,115) is too little and FTV decides the current size is ok for the current combination of font / characters / lines.

Try declaring other combinations and you'll find that FTV will accept them.

Thank you for confirming that, I was worried this was a FT view "feature".

I like the idea of a back drop behind the input to make it look better, but it will certainly add to develop time.

Thanks again.