Siemens PG Hard Drive Full

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi All,

I have a Siemens PG, with TIA portal V13, TIA Portal V14 and S7 installed.

It seems just recently, whenever I start the PG, I get a warning saying the Hard disk C:/ is full.

Then I can't open TIA or S7 until I have made some space available.

It is getting harder and harder to find space to make available.

I am not installing anything, and sometimes I just need to go online with a PLC.

What is filling the hard drive up?

Are there any settings I can change?

Cheers

Mark

Check the error log folder.

I've had once an issue with TIA that produced an error log every few min. Took a re install to fix. The text files were only KB in size, so never appeared when I searched for large items on the drive. However there were thousands created.

Alternately, I like to run a utility tool like CC Cleaner every now and then.

Spacemonger is a wonderful graphical visualisation of what fills the harddrive. It has given me a couple of "Aha !" moments.

Apart from that, upgrade the harddrive to something bigger. And dont even think of not using an SSD.

+1 for Jesper - bigger hard drive.

I have an application with an SQL Server that has a 'memory leak'. Eventually
the memory used by SQL Server gets too big and the computer locks up.
Rebooting that computer clears the problem.

I also had a different server recording history . . . 'We' made it record too much
history and that filled up the hard drive.

Poet.

I assume you have done the normal thing of, right click the C drive and choose 'Disk Cleanup', go through the list and see what you want to get rid of.

Thanks for the replies.

I have ran the disk cleaner which comes as standard with Windows, and although to begin with got rid of loads of stuff, now when I run it, it hardly does anything.

It has got a C and a D drive, but never thought of combining the 2. I guess I thought Siemens did this for a reason, so thought I would leave it be.

As for installing any software to try and help, that's probably a big no no. I have just gone back to the PG and sure enough the message is back. No Space on C Drive.

I haven't done anything, the PG has been sat online using TIA portal V13. No saves, no programs added, nothing. Before I left there was 120MB and now I'm down to KB.

There must be something happening in the background I am unaware of.

I will keep probing.

Cheers

Mark

Any chance there is an automatic backup program running?

Do you have a backup image of the hard drive you can compare
to the current hard drive? (Looking to see which sub-directory got bigger.)

Poet.

I have an M4 with two partitions C & D, I had to resize the C partition when I first got it and just recently again to accommodate having Step7 5.6, TIA V13,V14,and now V15. My C is 250GB and D is now 200GB. I used AOMEI Partition Assistant, very simple to resize on the fly. I did create a backup image first of course.
*Edit* I forgot to mention I spec'd this with a 500GB SSD drive and as much memory as I could when ordered, your results may vary.

Last edited:
Have a look in the Siemens directories, there are loads of PDF files in many languages & also sample programs, this will clear a lot of clutter.

I haven't done anything, the PG has been sat online using TIA portal V13. No saves, no programs added, nothing. Before I left there was 120MB and now I'm down to KB.

There must be something happening in the background I am unaware of.
I suggest (again) use spacemonger to find out what uses the space on your HD.
There is this freeware version: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/SpaceMonger.html
And you can run it off a USB stick so you dont need to install it to your harddisk.

You dont write how big your HD is.
I have TIA 15.1 plus lots of other programs in a VM that uses approx 150 GB.
The folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Siemens which includes TIA but not the TIA project files uses only 4 GB.
So even a smallish HD should be enough for TIA. But for performance, an SSD makes a huge difference.

Siemens PG's were traditionally expensive, low spec on drives & memory, If I remember right a 4 grand PG750 (first colour unit) as big as a small car, only had a 10mb hard disk, the newer generation after this I think was a 635 was poor spec as well. The last one I had was a field PG ruggedly built but poor on memory, expensive. I also believe it contained an in-built dongle.
I also remember the first dos based units Siemens produced a wrapper com file to run S5 that was still in CPM.

Just as a follow up.

I downloaded SpaceMonger as suggested by Jesper, and wow.

The problem was with Windows. There was something happening in the background, not sure what, but my IT guys found something, and there was 127GB of **** that windows was putting onto the hard drive.

Once again, thanks Jesper, I would never have found it without SpaceMonger.

Cheers

Mark

If your hard drive is full you have to delete some things off of it or get a new one in order to be able to use your PC without having any lags or other problems.