Resistor colours for a TV show

A strange title I know!

A friend of mine makes a bit of money submitting questions to a sort of quiz show.
For my UK compatriots it is called 'Only Connect'

The nature of the game is to guess the next 'thing' in a sequence and the reason why.

He has had a question accepted on resistor colours.
Iv'e not seen the question but I imagine it is something like:

1 BROWN 2 RED 3 ORANGE 4 ?

They have now asked him to supply some trivia or facts on why those colours are used or anything else to do with them that the quiz master can
relay to the contestants and audience.

So what do we know guys that is interesting about resistor colours?

Your words may appear on a British TV show. :)

Victoria Coren-Mitchell is a bit of a hottie.....

and her delivery of humour is very dry.

So it would have to be very good trivia....

"Bright Boys Rave Over Young Girls But Veto Getting Wed" might be a bit controversial...

Last edited:
Or the much cleaner and politically correct -
Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Back Via Great Western

Steve

I sent him John Calderwood's clean version.
As he had never heard any ditty about the colours before - he thought it was clever.

So UK guys... if you see this question in series 14 and then the 'saying' from Victoria, you know where it came from :)

the version I learned way back then is a little different
I will not publish it here in a public environment

gold and silver are not values they are tolerance
for the vales represented by the other bands
no band 20%
silver 10%
gold 5%

They have now asked him to supply some trivia or facts on why those colours are used or anything else to do with them that the quiz master can
relay to the contestants and audience.

So what do we know guys that is interesting about resistor colours?

Your words may appear on a British TV show. :)

From the Wikipedia article -

"The colors are sorted in the order of the visible light spectrum: red (2), orange (3), yellow (4), green (5), blue (6), violet (7). Black (0) has no energy, brown (1) has a little more, white (9) has everything and grey (8) is like white, but less intense"