SLC 5/04 and Ethernet

gizmo

Can I take a SLC 5/04 processor to a HMI(wonderware) via ethernet?

It appears the SLC 5/04 has built-in a DH+ and RS-232 channel.
Can I come out one the built-in channels thru an adapter to get on the ethernet or is there an SLC5/04 ethernet interface module?

Thanks

If you're not using the DH+ connection, a simple answer might be to simply replace the SLC-5/04 with an SLC-5/05. With this latter processor, Ethernet is built in.

Well, why would you want to? It might be cheaper to buy a DH+ card for the computer and use Data Highway instead. Or, even cheaper to get a null modem cable from Radio Shack and use the Serial Connection.

But if you really want to you can also price out a 1756 (contrologix) gateway type connection. You will need a 1756 rack, Power supply, a 1756 DH+ card, and a 1756 ethernet card. Connect the 5/04 via DH+ to the 1756 DH+ card then run the ethernet to your computer.

Cheers,

System Layout

Control Highway:
We have a Control Logix Processor talking ethernet via 1756-ENBT via switching hub to several Flex I/O Racks(1794-AENT module).

Info Highway:
In the same Control Logix Rack we have another 1756-ENBT module communicating thru switching hub to a Panel View 600 and HMI (wonderware).

I would like to stay on the ethernet platform and "simply" connect this vendor supplied PLC(which is coming with a PanelView 550) to my "Info Highway" via ehternet for the HMI.

I'm considering the following options:
(PLease let me know if any of the following are not valid or which might be the best solution)

1)Upgrade to SLC 5/05
2)Put SLC 5/05 Ladder Logic in Control Logix PLC
3)From SLC 5/04 channel 0 (DF1-Full Duplex) to 1761-NET-ENI to Ethernet Info highway.

Thanks for all the help!

1761-NET-ENI

You can use AB's 1761-NET-ENI module. It provides RS-232 DF1 to
Ethernet interface. To use it with Wonderware you can use
RSLinx 2.3 with "Ethernet devices" driver. Data will be served to
Wonderware either via OPC or DDE. This will work for sure.
Wonderware has drivers built in and you may not need RSLinx.
You have to be careful here, even though AB advertizes ENI as using
EtherNet/IP protocol, it really does not! It uses a shell of explicit messaging structures where Encapsulation commands as well as
Item ID's used are sometimes legacy RA proprietary codes. Unless
Wonderware can guarantee their driver specifically for use with ENI
it might not work.

1756-DHRIO

We have a similar setup, but we also have a 1756-DHRIO card in the control logix rack. This allows us to access our DH+ network, any SLC5/04, from our computers. We communicate from Minnesota to Mexico on the WAN ethernet through the control logix to the SLC5/04.

Looks like there are a couple of different ways. You must decide what is cost effective and what is your own "correct way".

I'd choose option (3) using a 1761-NET-ENI on Channel 0 of the SLC-5/04 controller to connect to your Information network.

This will only work if your Channel 0 is available to connect to the Net-ENI; if the PanelView is on DH+ then Channel 0 should be available no problem.

If the PanelView is on DF1 or DH485 protocol and needs to connect to Channel 0 of the SLC-5/04, then I would recommend option (1) instead of trying a bridge or multiplexer.

I haven't used them, but Pro-Soft and Sixnet and others have gateways that claim to enable tying in to an ethernet network from DH+ or DH-485 ports. These may be worth checking out.

I see this is some old discussion, but I have the same problem
I'm trying to connect SLC5/04 to ethernet via ENI card. I managed to configure IP address of ENI card, and connected it to SLC5/04 DF1 port, but unfortunately in RsLinx I cannot see PLC, I can see only ENI card and DF1 port that is looking through all nodes and doesn't find the PLC. I have 4 SLC5/04 plc connected together on DH+ network, and I was thinking to use ENI card connected to one SLC and via that one connection to be able to access all other PLC, but seems to not be possible.

any suggestions? thank you

Please create a new thread for your new question.

In general, you can connect via a 1761-NET-ENI to a single SLC-5/0x controller's DF1 Channel 0 serial port. If that doesn't work, you need to examine the configuration of the Net-ENI, the configuration of the SLC-5/0x serial port, and the cable connecting them. It's not complex and the default settings do work.

However, you cannot use the usual EtherNet/IP to DF1 bridging function to connect to a network of SLC-5/04 controllers using DF1/DH+ passthrough. The DF1 side of the 1761-NET-ENI is built to communicate DF1 point-to-point with only one device.

What you can do in such a case is use the 1761-NET-ENI as a Virtual Serial Port, allowing you to set of a DF1 driver in RSLinx with a "KF2" device type. This requires a 1761-NET-ENI Series D or later unit, and can also be done with a general-purpose Ethernet/Serial terminal server device.

thank you Ken for your reply,

According to what I could see everything is set properly, channel 0 of SLC has standard settings, and in ENI card there is set the RS232 speed to automatic detect.

Your point to use ENI card as virtual server is very interesting, but I haven't found anything in documentation about it. Do you have any link?

thank you

When you say “cannel 0 of the SLC has standard settings”, what are they? I would hard set the ENI’s port to match the channel 0 port on the SLC. What cable are you using to connect the ENI to the SLC?

Let me re-iterate that if you have configured the SLC-5/04 for DF1 to DH+ passthrough, the Net-ENI will not work with it in normal EtherNet/IP to DF1 bridging mode*.

The reason is that the Net-ENI and the SLC normally ignore the destination node numbers. You don't need addresses when there are just two devices on a serial link.

The pass-through setting causes the SLC to send all of the messages it receives on the serial port forward onto the DH+ network, instead of responding to them itself.

* There might be an exception. If the SLC happens to be set for DH+ Node 0, it will respond to messages sent to it by the Net-ENI in ordinary EtherNet/IP to DF1 bridging mode. Or maybe it's Node 1. Either way, it's not my job to explain nonstandard and unsupported communications setups anymore so I'm just going to say the Net-ENI won't work when you set up the SLC-5/04 for DF1/DH+ passthrough.

I might have to backpedal a little bit on the virtual serial port mechanism. I think it will work with the KF2 device type and a DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx Classic, but I'm not sure. All the documentation I see refers to using it with just the Net-ENI Configuration Utility.

The keyword you want in the literature is "COM Port Redirector", rather than "Virtual COM Port". You can use a Windows 7/8 compatible COM Port redirector from the LanTronix website:

http://www.lantronix.com/support/downloads/?p=CPR