Lost Ethernet Communications after Windows 10 Update

emong954

A few days ago, I was fixing some settings but accidentally set the windows 10 update, and so it did. Yesterday, when I opened my rslinx, i got an error "cannot open rswho...". So i asked a friend, turns out this was caused by the security update for spectre by windows 10 update. And i was advised to uninstall the updates. so i tried, the uninstall was painfully slow and long. anyway, after the uninstall, the rswho worked already. But, the ethernet driver could not see any plc/panelview in the network. I tried to ping the plcs, but i would get: Reply from 192.168.0.50: Destination unreachable. that's my notebook ip.

I tried reinstalling the ethernet driver and even did a system restore before the security update. Still, i cannot connect via ethernet.

Has anyone experienced this, and found the solution?

Also, with a patch cable, my notebook can ping another notebook, connected directly, but the other notebook says "destination unreachable".

I'm might do a reset to factory default on this notebook.

This happened to me too. Just uninstall any windows update since the first of the year. I think they were released on 1-5-18.

KB 1071234 | Access Level: Everyone | Date Created: 01/04/2018 | Last Updated: 01/12/2018

Covers how to fix this.

This happened to me too. Just uninstall any windows update since the first of the year. I think they were released on 1-5-18.

KB 1071234 | Access Level: Everyone | Date Created: 01/04/2018 | Last Updated: 01/12/2018

Covers how to fix this.

this was the first thing i did... i recovered rswho from rslinx.. but the ethernet never worked after.. still as i write this.. i'm still contemplating on a fresh windows 10 reset..

so i'm still hoping more answers coming in..

Hi! Thanks for the link. I did uninstall the security updates dated jan 7 to 10 i found. Now all that's left are from dec 2017. I don't recall the KB numbers though.

Now, the one issue I have is the ethernet not working. When connected to a switch, it toggles between "cable unplugged" and ïdentifying network... I tried to lower the speed.. 10mbps full duplex... it's sort of connected but still can't make a good ping.... returns host unreachable.

so i don't know yet... still searching but nearing the point of reinstalling windows 10.

Hi! Thanks for the link. I did uninstall the security updates dated jan 7 to 10 i found. Now all that's left are from dec 2017. I don't recall the KB numbers though.

Now, the one issue I have is the ethernet not working. When connected to a switch, it toggles between "cable unplugged" and ïdentifying network... I tried to lower the speed.. 10mbps full duplex... it's sort of connected but still can't make a good ping.... returns host unreachable.

so i don't know yet... still searching but nearing the point of reinstalling windows 10.

Before you do that, it might be worthwhile to open Device Manager, delete your Ethernet adapter, and then reboot and allow it to re-install.

Here's an update: i checked the physical ethernet port and noticed some wires/contacts were a bit depressed relative to others. I gave i a nudge but accidentally pulled it off its place. Still i thoughr it will have better contact. When i inserted the cable, back to normal. Thank you guys. I did a lot of uninstalling.. so now I will just have to do a fresh install of windows 10. Clean slate, o well.
This thread ca now be closed.

Actually, there are currently 12 issues related to Microsoft’s release of security updates to mitigate the threat of exploitation of the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities on systems containing certain CPUs. I have one desktop that updated that won’t run RSLinx anymore (the update won’t uninstall) and a laptop that updated and RSLinx wouldn’t run until I uninstalled the update. There are some computers out there that crashed completely after the updates were installed. Rockwell is still looking at the issues and will announce a fix when they find one (if they find one before MS does) however if you have a problem computer and can uninstall the update that is currently the recommended fix. Microsoft will be replacing the problem updates with new ones that don’t break computers. If you can’t uninstall the updates, you’re kinda up a creek without a paddle. MS does have a beta “patch” that one of the test engineers in my office has installed and it worked but it took several hours to install, and things run a little slower now.
The updates that are known to cause issues with RA products (according to the publication that I found) are: KB4058702, KB4056892, KB4056890, KB4056891, KB4056895, KB4056896, KB4056898, KB4054517

Last edited:
This is a case of the cure is way worse that the illness!!

MS must be thinking that the best way to solve the problem with the chips is to make the computer completely unusable. That way no data can can be stolen if its not being used.