step 5 for DOS program files Structure

netvisor

Hi all,
Just wondering if any step 5 " experts" out there could take the the time to explain the files that pertain to a plc program and how they interrelate to each other when using step 5 for DOS.
I understand that there is a program file , a symbol file and several other files.
What I would like to be able to do is back up every couple of months all these files to a server from the laptop and when required actually be able to use them after I copy the latest revision back to the laptop or perhaps use an old revision if needed.
I know step 5 is very fussy about where the files are placed in relation to each other as obviously the path must be also stored in one these files(I assume???).
If anyone can explain it would be a great help......
Regards
Tom

?????ST.S5D is the program sorce and
?????Z0.SEQ is the symbolic address/description sourse you not need others for backup.
S5-developper generates xref-files and symbolic .INI-files from
those 2 files.

?????ST.S5D is the program sorce and
?????Z0.SEQ is the symbolic address/description sourse you not need others for backup.
If you use a footer, you'll also need to backup ??????F1.INI or ??????F2.INI. The F1.INI file is a 80 character footer, the F2.INI is a 132 character one.

Furthermore, what Seppo told is correct: the rest can be genereated by STEP5 from the ST.S5D and the Z0.SEQ.

Kind regards,

thanks guys

So I take it if I need to do a restore I just point my step 5 software to the location of the program file and the documentation files and thats it????
What about project files ????how do they work???
Regards
Tom.

Project files?? What version of STEP5 are you talking about? Or do you mean the PJ.INI files used from version 6 on? Well, these you can rebuild when you enter where those others (ST.S5D etc.) are located.

Kind regards,