OT: A Cool Startup IMO

Hello,

The part about third party tile apps tracking your tile and alerting you, I see huge possibilities for abuse, a.k.a. crime.

My2c.

Internal computers in the police department are sometimes used to commit crime but they do a lot of good also. I can't think of very many technologies that could not be used for crime with the right mindset.

My eyes got wide when I read the little statement about the range of the device.

However, if any other Tile user's phone is within 50 - 150ft of your Tile, you will receive an update with the location of your Tile. When this happens, you will see a pin on the map view for your Tile. This essentially makes the range limitless once there are enough Tile users in your area.

That's either terrifying or awesome. It turns every iPhone with the Tile application into a sweeper, locating every Tile... EVERY Tile... within about 100 feet.

You, of course, get notified about your tiles. But the company servers... they know the location of every Tile, and which Tiles are owned by which users.

Not to mention the DIY surveilliance you could do by dropping one of these into the car, purse, or pockets of somebody who you knew was using the Tile app.

#ken every mobilephone has a known location to the server, they even know how fast it is moving and the direction. They do triangulation and sort out which mast is nearest. I think the Tile is very good solution for other items not having a communication like bikes, cars and coats etc.
I would even recommend to have this device in every item at school. Whenever any item gets through the door an alarm will sound and the man can be found.
I do not understand that phonecompanies do not offer this as every phone can be found when switched on. the card has a sim number but the phone has also a number.
It would drop theft, but sales also.

If this becomes well known any thief will know to remove it immediately and throw it away, possibly into some passing car. Thus they need a way to attach it inconspicuously to an item.

Place with a loved one who has Alzheimers.

Last edited:
If this becomes well known any thief will know to remove it immediately and throw it away, possibly into some passing car. Thus they need a way to attach it inconspicuously to an item.

Place with a loved one who has Alzheimers.

That much thought and intelligence is typically not bestowed upon run of the mill thieves. The smart criminals that have skill or knowledge typically use it to steal high value targets.

Our homes are likely to be broken into by you neighborhood crack or meth head that needs his or her fix.

I think it is aimed more at help with loss from being forgetful or dis organized more than from theft.

I think I am on board with this, mainly to track my tools and such when I am on a job site. Just today I saw someone eyeing up my laptop where I had it setup on the plant floor. They walked away when they noticed me from a distance.