Remote Access To Compact Logix

Another vote for eee W0N Cosy 131. Set up 3 this year (all using 3G sim card) and set up is a breeze all up and running within 15 mins. Can also use hard-wired WAN connection if necessary and avoid sim card altogether if that is your preference.

Another vote for eee W0N Cosy 131. Set up 3 this year (all using 3G sim card) and set up is a breeze all up and running within 15 mins. Can also use hard-wired WAN connection if necessary and avoid sim card altogether if that is your preference.

How's the connection? notice any really slow speeds or lag?

Connection and speeds are great even using SIM card, but at the end of the day it all depends on the cellular reception. I generally always use an external antenna mounted on-top of the panel.

I have decided to go with the Cosy. Thank you all for your input. Now to start reading the user manual while I wait on delivery. One thing I don't understand about VPN's. when I connect to the vpn router, do I connect to the internet IP address of it on the plants network. or do I connect to it with the LAN IP address I give it that will match the PLC and Panelview that is connected to it. I guess I'm just confused on how when I programmed the panelview and plc I had to change the IP address of my laptop. but if i'm connecting through internet I won't be able to do that.

Basically you use a VPN client utility which connects you to a cloud server, then the cloud server connects you to the Cosy providing a VPN tunnel.

The Cosy then handles the routing / NAT to get you through to the LAN / PLC network. In the Cosy setup you must specify what the LAN / PLC network is.

Note that for AB products when connecting via VPN or from a different network you must use the Ethernet driver in RSLinx and add the PLC / HMI IP addresses manually, not the Ethernet/IP driver which can automatically browse for all devices on the local network.

Note that for AB products when connecting via VPN or from a different network you must use the Ethernet driver in RSLinx and add the PLC / HMI IP addresses manually, not the Ethernet/IP driver which can automatically browse for all devices on the local network.

Huh... I never realized that... Thinking back on it I never TRIED to do so, but it makes sense. The only time I can think of that it might work would be if you were using something like openVPN which adds a virtual network adapter in your hardware that would be in the subnet of your remote network. I'll have to experiment with this.

Huh... I never realized that... Thinking back on it I never TRIED to do so, but it makes sense. The only time I can think of that it might work would be if you were using something like openVPN which adds a virtual network adapter in your hardware that would be in the subnet of your remote network. I'll have to experiment with this.

The scenario you mentioned would most likely work, although you would need to modify the Ethernet/IP driver settings to browse using this virtual network adapter instead of your local physical adapter. The RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver uses broadcasts to find devices so your network adapter must be on the same network as end devices.

The scenario you mentioned would most likely work, although you would need to modify the Ethernet/IP driver settings to browse using this virtual network adapter instead of your local physical adapter. The RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver uses broadcasts to find devices so your network adapter must be on the same network as end devices.

Ok, thanks! I've always just kinda "done it" and never really understood how it worked.

Hey Scruffy,

Did you get the Cozy and how did it go?

We are using a couple and sending them all over with good results. Only tricky part is understanding each sites network structure so we can set up the device to work with it.

Tinkerman

Hey Scruffy,

Did you get the Cozy and how did it go?

We are using a couple and sending them all over with good results. Only tricky part is understanding each sites network structure so we can set up the device to work with it.

Tinkerman

We set ours to DHCP, never had a problem with a customers network yet.

Alternatively, if they give you a fixed IP address, use that.

I have experience with the cosy 131, it works, it is a little bit of a bear to set up. My biggest complaint is if you use the wireless version and the plant changes the network settings it is now a paperweight unless you go out and update it.

I would also caution that the VPN is only as good as the network connection. If you have a poor speed and large files I would forget doing remote transfers, you will be limited to online editing.

I switched to the stride offered by AD this year and it is miles above the cosy. I have three units in the field and I can set one up in about 10 minutes now, most of that time is hooking up the hardware. The stride is much easier to setup and it holds the network configuration on a usb dongle. If some IT guy changes the network for the wireless I can update the config file and send it to a person on site to transfer to the USB stick, cycle power and im back. I dont think this is possible with the cosy wifi version, at least it wasnt several years ago.

I also add that these types of VPN's do not care what it is hooked to, its simply a path to the devices. It could be anything, PC, PLC, HMI, fieldbus, etc. We use 16 port switches on the machines we build, i plug the VPN into the switch and I now have access to anything that is plugged into the switch network.