.mer saved in a protected format

.mer is actually a 7zip file. You will need to know the password, Or you will have to figure out how to break a 7zip encryption key.

Have you tried restoring it by leaving the password field blank?

A common oversight is when someone creates the .mer they leave the encrypt box checked but don't enter a password. This will bring up a password prompt when restoring the .mer even though there was no password entered.

Or you will have to figure out how to break a 7zip encryption key.

From wikipedia. An impressive amount of effort required to brute force a key!

Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. Fifty supercomputers that could check a billion billion (1018) AES keys per second (if such a device could ever be made) would, in theory, require about 3×1051 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space.