Australian Control Panel Standards

RBergmann

I know there are a great number of members to this site from "down under". Perhaps one of you can help me.

My company is preparing a piece of equipment that is shipping to Australia. We are well versed in UL508A standards but want to make sure we meet those of Australia. My questions are:

1. Does Australia follow CE or other standards?
2. Will they accept UL508A?
3. Are there wire color standards that we should be aware?
4. I understand that the standard low voltage is 240VAC/1ph/50Hz. Correct?
5. High voltage standard. I understand this would be 480V/3ph. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

I believe you are going to need what is called "C-Tick" approval. It's a quasi-equivalent system to UL508A except that it's more related to EMC, kind of like having to get FCC approval for a control panel because it might emit RFI or EMI. Talk to your UL rep though, they may be able to offer it to you, for a fee of course.

And yes, the wire coloring system is different there, of particular note is that Neutral conductors are not white. Most of that however would be related to the FILED wiring, not necessarily your internal control panel wiring.

Control panels would need to comply with Australian standard AS3439 and AS3000/2007 for colour coding and wiring standard

They also need to comply with AS4024 (Safety of machinery) and AS3000 (Wiring Rules) as a basic minimum. There are standards for rotating machinery and for robotics that don't affect your panel directly, but may affect the design of safety and whatnot... And much more. You're best having a look at what applies to you.

http://www.standards.org.au/Pages/default.aspx

1) Australia follows AS:NZ Standards.
2) Some sections may be similar, but essentially no.
3) Many sites/clients have their own standards here, and they can differ greatly. The only firm rule is that you use Green, or Green/Yellow wiring for Earth. Also check to see what supply you're dealing with, as we use an MEN system here.
4) As above.
5) As above.

Can you tell us anything specific about the equipment?

Last edited:
Couple of things - earth is green/yellow - green will be rejected.
Phase colours are red, white, blue - neutral is black.
There is no standard for LV wire colours but usually grey/black are used for 24VAC and the most common colours I see for 24CDV are orange/violet. Positive is the first colour.
If you are supplying power to GPOs and lighting circuits they will have to be protected by RCDs rated @ 30ma trip.
If the job is for a mine then there are a whole new set of rules.

Couple of things - earth is green/yellow - green will be rejected.
Phase colours are red, white, blue - neutral is black.
There is no standard for LV wire colours but usually grey/black are used for 24VAC and the most common colours I see for 24CDV are orange/violet. Positive is the first colour.
If you are supplying power to GPOs and lighting circuits they will have to be protected by RCDs rated @ 30ma trip.
If the job is for a mine then there are a whole new set of rules.
So, if I understand correctly, I could use UL color scheme except for neutral (in the US neutral is white). This would certainly make it easier for our panel builders. Here we mark phasing with tape, not usually with the insulation color. Would this be okay?

Your AS3000 standard. Are the color codes and wire types defined for commercial wiring or industrial (like control panels). Here there are some differences. If this is the standard we should look to, then it appears not to be prohibitively expense and worth the cost.

Is there a certification listing mark that inspectors look for? In the US no listing identification, by itself, has the rule of law except as referenced in local building codes. Standards (NFPA70, NFPA79, UL508A) available are suggestions that have been accepted as safe and recommended. Here they will try and find that the build has followed some recognized rules like those of UL (Underwriters Laboratories), specifically UL508A for panels. In Europe they look for CE conformance.

The cable should be solid colour not tape. That is not good practice as the tape can come off and then confusion reigns! The most important ones are black for neautral and green/yellow for earth. Green and/or yellow are not permissable at all except in small multicore cables - 30/40 core etc as used in some pre-made cables for PLC I/O blocks.
For single phase 240 volt red and black are the most common colours but the phase colour should match the phase ie white and blue are used as well.
AS/NZ 3000 has colour codes in it and just about everything else. There is also a standard for standard symbols as well for myou drawings. We tend to follow IEC standards here pretty much but 'legacy' symbols are also allowed - and then there are the 'make your own' from a combination of symbols for something that is not defined.
We do not generally look for compliance standards unless specified but generally use equipment that has CE certification - rarely get asked for UL.
Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone ...

I think this gives me an understanding of the path I should follow in building my Austrialian version of our ICP (industrial control panel).