Wonderware's InControl

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone here used Wonderware's InControl(r) soft PLC? We are purchasing a piece of equipment and the OEM supplies it with this product for control over profibus. I am not really keen on soft PLCs (by the time you buy them and the IO adaptors you havent really saved any money) but this is the only way the equipment is offered.

What do you think of it?

Alaric,

I do use Wonderware products, but have yet to use InControl, not because I don't think it's a good product, but because there hasn't been the right opportunity. If I were in your shoes, I would get references from the OEM(which you may have already done) that you could consult about the equipment's reliability and the OEM's support in times of need. Also, I would consider the fact that an OEM would not center their business around a control platform that was unreliable.

Jeff

jshiepe said:
... Also, I would consider the fact that an OEM would not center their business around a control platform that was unreliable.
Jeff

For some reason that just does not give me the warm fuzzies.

I guess that maybe I've dealt with too many machines that had junk controls and I retrofitted plenty of those when I got sick enough of what the OEM provided.

I am familiar with the Wonderware InTouch HMI, its a great HMI, one of the better ones out there IMO. I'm hoping that InControl is just as good, but we'll find out I guess.

BTW Jeff, I love your signature line, thats great :))