Communication between PLCSIM and real PLC

doomsword

Title says all. I want to establish communication between Siemens PLCSIM and a real PLC.
I need to test one PLC which is basically a slave to master PLC (without data from master it can't do much). Problem is I have only one S7-1517 PLC.
So basically I want to simulate another one on my PC, so I could test another.

Is this possible with some 3rd party software? Also any idea how you would do this would appreciated.
Otherwise next week at work won't be productive for me (week after that I'll get second PLC).
This is more question out of curiosity.

PLCSim, as far as I know allows you to open two instances and communicate between them (depending on how you set it up).

It will make the PC sluggish (certainly compared to the one in Step7 Classic) but it works.

What method are you using to communicate between the two PLCs ?

If you have 2 PLCSIM instances, you can communicate between them. But not allcommunications methods can be simulated this way.

PLCSim advanced supports communication between a simulated PLC and a real PLC, other 3rd party software or 2 or more simulated PLCS. S7 communication and Open communication (T_blocks) are supported.

There is a trial version available that you can use for your work next week.

One thing that is a bit problematic is that know how protected blocks is not supported and some blocks from Siemens are Know how protected. Don't know how Siemens think there but if you dont have a lot of protected blocks then PLCsim advanced could be an option

One thing that is a bit problematic is that know how protected blocks is not supported and some blocks from Siemens are Know how protected. Don't know how Siemens think there but if you dont have a lot of protected blocks then PLCsim advanced could be an option

I could have sworn knowhow protect was allowed. The trick is that there is a special flag you have to compile in to allow a block to be simulated, and if the block is knowhow protected without that flag (like some of the Siemens libraries) then it won't work. I think it's supposed to work once the flag is there, though.

I could have sworn knowhow protect was allowed. The trick is that there is a special flag you have to compile in to allow a block to be simulated,.

Good to know i guess the Siemens blocks i had the misfortune to try was missing the "Simulation with SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM Advanced" flag and that must be checked before the protection is applied apparently.

Know-how protected blocks are allowed with PLCSIM Advanced but not with regular PLCSIM. That is the reason why I have PLCSIM Advanced (it is expensive !).

If you have Siemens library blocks that were published for V13 or earlier, then you probably have to update these to the latest version for them to have the option to be able to compile with the setting "can be simulated with SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM".

Know-how protected blocks are allowed with PLCSIM Advanced but not with regular PLCSIM. That is the reason why I have PLCSIM Advanced (it is expensive !).
If you have Siemens library blocks that were published for V13 or earlier, then you probably have to update these to the latest version for them to have the option to be able to compile with the setting "can be simulated with SIMATIC S7-PLCSIM".

(y)

Sorry about that. It wasn't intentional, we just didn't have the capability. But the good news is that 1500 Know-how protection is supported in TIA/PLCSIM V15 and 1200 Know-how protection is supported in TIA/PLCSIM V15.1

PLCSIM Advanced did it first, but we finally were able to bring it into the base simulator.

Sorry for dredging up an old post, but I wanted to make sure future readers have up to date information... and save them the potential license cost if they don't really need it!