XP On Win 10

AaronJonesSr

Hello All,

(Tried Searching But Seems To Be A Premium That I Can't Do) I have been trying to figure out a which is the best way to get XP working on Win 10. I'm a electrician in MI and I want to try and hook up to old processors but I have a Win 10 Laptop. My machine is:

Lattitude 5420 Rugged

My Electrical Engineer has been trying to get me updated where we can stop using the old IPT's (basically they are old XP machines on wheels, very archaic to say the least). I need to be able to hook up to PL2, 484, and 984. I'm currently able to hook up to SLC 503 and 505 (with PIC Box) along with the 5000 processors.

He mentioned Virtualbox, VMWARE, and DOSbox as possible solutions. I would like to know from you experts and your experience which route is the best for this task. I personally was thinking Virtualbox but do not know what limitations I will run into.

I want to be able to run Taylor, Procomm, and the xp windows version but i can't think of the name of it at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have several XP Virtual machines using VMWare Workstation. The difficult part can sometimes be the serial ports but not impossible. Basically have to make sure your USB-serial is plugged into you host machine and working before launching the VM. I have found too that the SLC serial test function almost never works with the USB-serial converters. Of course the old bus cards (PCMCIA, ISA etc) are going to be unusable so you will need converters for those communications links. For DH485 I use one of the AB USB converters and it works well. For DH+ I keep a 4 slot 1756 rack with a EN2T and a DHRIO cards in it to use as a gateway, although I haven't had to use it in over a year. I also have a USB-Modbus and Profibus converters. I basically have to carry a 30lb box in my car when I go on a new service call when the customer does not know what they have.

I would 100% recommend a virtual machine solution. I use VMWare and have found it extraordinarily stable and reliable.

Small caveat - my host is a mac, so I'm using VMWare Fusion, the mac equivalent. You'd need VMWare Workstation, the PC version, so my experience is not exactly equivalent to what yours would be. That said, there are plenty of others around here using VMWare Workstation, and I don't often hear complaints about it :)

we have windows 2000, xp, windows 7 vm's running on windows 10 hosts, laptops with no issues.
the older plc interface cables may be an issue.
I'm glad we have plenty of old latitude 610,20,30's with serial ports.

james

I have found too that the SLC serial test function almost never works with the USB-serial converters.

If this is an issue for you or for AaronJonsSr I can think of a solution. New USB -RS232C adapters only implement the minimum number of signals. I think this can be fixed with off-the-shelf components, but will only take the time to investigate if this will help either of you or any other members who need a solution to communicate old RS232C hardware from a Windows 10 virtual machine
. Will keep checking this post.

I have found too that the SLC serial test function almost never works with the USB-serial converters. Of course the old bus cards (PCMCIA, ISA etc) are going to be unusable so you will need converters for those communications links. For DH485 I use one of the AB USB converters and it works well.

Thank you for the info, currently I use the Win 10 with 1747-UIC and I have no problem talking to SLC. The DH485 port as you mentioned works flawless at the moment.

Currently using DOSBox and trying to configure the ports properly for communication.

Has anyone been successful with DOSBox and hooking up to older legacy PLC apps? If so can you share your port code from your options.

here is what I have so far:
Code:
[serial]
# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.
#          Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
#          Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
#          parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq (optional).
#          for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
#                           (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).
#          for modem: listenport (optional).
#          for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
#                         transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
#          Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000
#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# serial2: see serial1
# serial3: see serial1
# serial4: see serial1

serial1=directserial realport:com1
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
#            xms: Enable XMS support.
#            ems: Enable EMS support.
#            umb: Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
# ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount c c:\dosprogs\
c:
cls