FTView ME - Passing parameters through to second window

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm developing a program in FTView ME for a machine that has three independent axes of motion, each controlled by an old pneumatic proportional controller. There are a dozen or so parameters related to each axis, and I've only got a small HMI to play with, so I'm building a generic "axis settings" page which I'll then call with a parameter file to specify the particular axis I'm looking for. My parameter file just has two parameters, a literal string for the page header (so when you load the page for Axis ABC it says "Axis ABC" at the top of the display) and a reference to the UDT in my Compact Logix PLC.

I want to place a button on this page that, when pressed, will bring up a popup window with some calibration information for whichever axis I'm looking at. That is, I need to pass the UDT reference that I've loaded the configuration window with, to the popup. I thought maybe I could use parameter #3 in my parameter file as the name of a new parameter file - one containing just the UDT reference - and then put {#3} in the parameter file for the go to display button - would that work? Is there any other way to achieve this?

Nobody? I've found a hack workaround by creating three buttons on my generic display, one for each axis, and animating their visibility based on the original parameter file. But that's making my eye twitch

Search the help file for "parameter passing" it's clear as mud and I am sure someone of your talent can figure it out. (y)

Search the help file for "parameter passing" it's clear as mud and I am sure someone of your talent can figure it out. (y)
Thanks, that's the piece of the puzzle I was searching for, works beautifully. To put it in less wordy terms than the AB help files:

Instead of using a parameter file, use a parameter list. Using a parameter file means creating a parameter file with, e.g.:
Code:
#1=SomeTag
#2=SomeOtherTag
#3=ImportSkynet
...and then referencing that file in the "parameter file" section of the GoTo Display Button properties popup.

Instead of doing that, on the GoTo Display Button general properties window, you select the "parameter list" option instead of the "parameter file" option. Then you enter your tags in that field directly, in numerical order, separated by commas:
Code:
SomeTag,SomeOtherTag,ImportSkynet
To pass the same tags through to the next window, use another GoTo Display Button, again select the parameter list option, and in the list field enter #1,#2,#3 (or however many parameters you want to pass).

I am also interested in passing FTView ME out the second floor window.
But which parameters are you passing it out the window with? That's the all important question!