MicroLogix 1400 Controller

RSLogix 500 Starter, Standard, and Professional applications, as well
as RSLogix Micro software, all support the MicroLogix 1400 controller, including its online
editing capabilities.

Note: the listed "RSLogix Micro software" above is NOT the Micro Starter Lite version. its for all MicroLogix controllers, not free.

No free version for your ML1400. Contact your local Rockwell rep.

RSLogix 500 comes in various "levels" ...

going by memory here - but I THINK that you should be able to get a package that will do what you want for about $500 ... the package that goes for about $1600 will handle the SLC-500 systems too - more than you need for just the 1400 ...

RSLogix 500 comes in various "levels" ...

going by memory here - but I THINK that you should be able to get a package that will do what you want for about $500 ... the package that goes for about $1600 will handle the SLC-500 systems too - more than you need for just the 1400 ...

RSLogix Micro Developer is the one you want. I think we paid about $550 to purchase it for a customer about a year ago.

Sidenote: I mistakenly thought I could just install RSLogix 500 and later license it and it would "become" developer. This was wrong. I had to download and install it as a completely separate software package. Also, I belive aware that RSLogix Micro Developer license is always node locked. We wanted to set it up with FTAM and allow either of two computers to use it but were not able to do so without rehosting which is not supposed to be done too frequently.

another thought ... if you're just trying to "get started" with PLCs, you might come out cheaper (at least in the near term) by putting the 1400 aside for "later on" - and buying a used 1100 that will work with the free software ... that might come out cheaper for you than buying the software for the 1400 ...

TIP: don't go for the cheaper MicroLogix 1000 ... it might be cheaper - but that one won't let you practice the "Accept - Test - Assemble" steps involved in "online programming" ... the 1100 will handle those highly valued skills ...

WHOA - I don't use the free software ... I THINK that it will do "online edits" with the 1100 ... can someone please confirm that? ... that feature MIGHT not be included with the free version of RSLogix 500 ...

good luck with it ...

Last edited:
TIP: don't go for the cheaper MicroLogix 1000 ... it might be cheaper - but that one won't let you practice the "Accept - Test - Assemble" steps involved in "online programming" ... the 1100 will handle those highly valued skills ... .

Ron ever since they stopped making the 1000's the price skyrocketed so now the 1100's are a lot cheaper, the 1000's are now only being sold to customers looking to replace a non working PLC's and not looking to change the system just a fast fix

TIP: don't go for the cheaper MicroLogix 1000 ... it might be cheaper - but that one won't let you practice the "Accept - Test - Assemble" steps involved in "online programming" ... the 1100 will handle those highly valued skills ...

WHOA - I don't use the free software ... I THINK that it will do "online edits" with the 1100 ... can someone please confirm that? ... that feature MIGHT not be included with the free version of RSLogix 500 ...

You can definitely online edit with the free software

I saw a 1761-L32BWA at a discount price of $1,992.00 out there.
I can't wait till they discontinue the SLC500, I have a lot of parts!

They need to be new in the box... mine are a lot cheaper than 1992.00 but I was a little late to the party so I had to pay more so my margins are not the best on them

If you ever want to sell your SLC parts I buy them also ;)

the_msp said:
You can definitely online edit with the free software

I think its more CPU dependent vs the software but I agree you can edit the 1100's with the free software but you can not online edit the 1000's

If you ever want to sell your SLC parts I buy them also

I have a few more modern items I would like to boot out as well.

Gave up on the fish hatchery due to stupid people controlling zoning. Sold my property. Tragic that I couldn't remove trees I needed to, and put in a few EPDM lined hatchery ponds. Well, they said that they would be considered swimming pools and you need to apply for a permit, then get taxed on the size.

Well, this was up in the boonies. Black bear **** in my garden and it's cool to see Cougars.

Bought the hot rod, and with the new air filter, it may be illegal in 20 states, but it's legal here!

I need hot rod parts!

Last edited: