Panelmate to Micrologix

Robby

I could use some advice before I get to far along with a project. I would like to connect a panelmate 1500 to a micrologix 1000. I am totally new to working with HMI programming. I installed the panelview configuration software (power series) and transfer utilities. I also have a
"Panelmate Power Series Allen-Bradeley Driver Disc" and
"Panelmate Compact SLC-500 Option disk"
I have not loaded these because there is a note that came in the box that states that once the DH-485 driver is loaded it can not be removed and no aditional installs will be possible.
Will I be necessarilly using DH-485 to talk to a Micrologix 1000?
If not maybe I should not load it at all.
Do you think the one load warning applies to both disks or just the disk marked SLC-500 Option. If I do load them am I loading them on the HMI or the computer because if I only have one load I may want to use my computer at work before I practice at home. Thanks [email protected]

Probably you should just load the "Allen-Bradley Driver" disk; it should give you the "DF1 Full Duplex" driver option.

The MicroLogix uses DF1 Full Duplex protocol on it's RS-232 serial port by default, and if you're connecting just the one PanelMate to the one MicroLogix you will only need that protocol.

The Micro *can* use the DH-485 protocol for multi-drop communication, but you don't need it for just the one PanelMate.

Hopefully there are some current PanelMate users onboard here who can comment more closely; I haven't used the PM Power Series for about six years. I did like their big buttons !

You have to pay extra for the DH485 driver license. I believe it comes on a separate disk. When you download the driver to the PanelMate, the transfer utility only lets you download directly from the floppy to the PanelMate. This is true of all extra-cost options for the PanelMate.

Running setup.exe from the AB driver disk will install the DF1 driver on your computer. The PanelMate Compact was the name for the 9" CRT line of PanelMates. My memory is hazy on this, but I think that to do anything with a PM Compact, you would use the DOS software.

When it comes time to download your HMI screens to the PanelMate, you run the Transfer Utility. (From the 'File' menu in the Power Series software click 'VCP Transfer'). If this is brand new PanleMate, you must first download the Executive Firmware, then whatever driver you need, then your application.

I could be wrong on some of the details, so you should probably contact Cutler Hammer tech support at 1-800-809-2772 for verification.

Thanks! to both you guys those answers are very helpfull whAT A GREAT site I just loaded the A-B driver and every thing seems to be working now. I guess I will hold off on lading the DH-485 driver until I need it. Thanks again. Robby