Rockwell PLC's with Serial Ports

cardosocea

Hello gents,

I have an application where the cheapest communication link available is a radio telemetry system that works off of RS-232 protocol.
Our site only uses AB and looking into their catalog, it seems like there isn't many options for PLC's with Serial ports.

Do you guys still use them or how can I get around this? For one or two of the applications, a sort of gateway PLC would be feasible to collect all the data required from the installation (consisting of multiple PLCs) and sending it over the link. But on remote systems that have only one PLC, having a separate one just for a serial port is a bit of a waste.

Any ideas? I know there's some sort of Serial Port converters out there, but I personally prefer to have all enclosed as much as possible.

We build custom cables for a Maxon radio, one of our customers uses the Maxon SD-174EL

I have never used them but this customer is very good so I'm sure they would only be using quality products they are also a member here so they maybe able to help further

We have some older systems we integrate to on RS232

We use a Point IO™ Module - RS232 Interface - 1734-232ASC

Seems to work well.

We have some older systems we integrate to on RS232

We use a Point IO™ Module - RS232 Interface - 1734-232ASC

Seems to work well.

+1 for the 1734-232ASC

There are also products from Prosoft that we have positive experience with.

Prosoft Rockwell In-Chassis

Of course, there is the single port available on some PLC-5 and L6 and earlier ControlLogix processors.