Excellent network scanner

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Last edited:
Another little tip I found out.....pretty cool...
If you want ALL of Windows 10 settings in one folder.

The user must have administrator privileges.
Right click on desktop and select: New>Folder
Then name it: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

If you want...you can use a different name than "GodMode".

Molex EIP Tool

I have had mixed results with this:

https://www.molex.com/mx_upload/superfamily/iccc/EtherNet_IPTool.html

When I have luck with it, it will go on our controls network and the List Identity tab will show me populated IP addresses, and names of devices, e.g. 192.168.1.100 Allen Bradley VFD, ... If I was plugging into a network without documented IP addresses, I could save much time versus trying to go to each device and figure out its address.

My caveats: I found it did not seem to show A-B HMIs, sometimes took a refresh or two to get all the devices, and the help file for it is non-existent.

I use Nmap, open source. I learned it on Unix, but it works on Windoze now.
Has many different options, a simple ping scan to see who's on the network.
Or a deeper scan to see what ports are open. Comes in handy when setting up firewalls.

https://nmap.org/

If you have an access point available on the network then try the phone app Fing.

It is fantastic. It will get the hostnames, lookup the hardware vendors, scan ports for services, send WOL and keep historical data.

I use Nmap, open source. I learned it on Unix, but it works on Windoze now.
Has many different options, a simple ping scan to see who's on the network.
Or a deeper scan to see what ports are open. Comes in handy when setting up firewalls.

https://nmap.org/

I've tried a few other network scanners recently, but I still keep coming back to nmap (+Zenmap on Windows). The simplicity, power, and ease of use are hard to beat for me. It doesn't have as fancy of outputs as some other scanners, but I don't need fancy results - I just need it fast and accurate!

Thanks for that tip....I was going to try it on my Windows 7.

I copied the folder to a USB flash I carry around with me.
Fast way to get into Control Panel with all the settings.

That's how I made sure it worked on a Win7 computer to be sure before I posted it - I did know it worked on 8.

EDIT: And if you want to hide some files, you can put files in the God Mode folder on a Windows XP computer that will not be accessible on 7, 8 or 10, but will be there.

Last edited: