Free Ethernet/IP scanner for Windows

CapinWinky

I've got Eth/IP com supposedly up and running between a controller and device, but I'm reading in all zeros and should definitely not be reading in all zeros. I need to track down where the problem is and connecting to the device from my laptop with the same communication config would really help. I know scanner software for Windows exists, I just can't seem to find anything for download. The once free scanner from IXXAT does not seem to be free anymore.

I don't need to sniff packets, I need to be an Ethernet/IP scanner/master. I've got Studio 5k, so I'm checking if SoftLogix can do it right now.

Is it RIO, produced/consumed, or msg? Another possible option I can think of is using a OPC server. Both Kepware and Metrikon OPC can work for a few hours without license.

connecting to the device from my laptop with the same communication config

Anything that's not a ControlLogix won't be "the same", so SoftLogix 5800 is your best bet. Even though it's using a Windows TCP/IP stack instead of the one in the 1756 module, at the CIP level it will be the same connection procedure, or at least as similar as you can hope for.

Some other CIP connection originator only works the same in theory. If it's not using the Ethernet Master Library from Rockwell, you're just evaluating the difference between master libraries, not troubleshooting the actual connection problem.

After quite the ordeal of getting SoftLogix installed and working, it was exactly as expected, the device was working fine and my PLC (not a Rockwell PLC) was just dropping the ball. Mysteriously, when I connected everything back to the PLC it started reading in the correct values. I'm wondering if something about SoftLogix talking to the device got it running.

I did acquire a copy of EIPScan and played with it, and it was much easier than the hours of screwing around getting SoftLogix to work. I'm really surprised there isn't an open source program like there are for ModbusTCP, there isn't anything special about Ethernet/IP.

EDIT: EIPScan is not cheap and you can't download it from the open internet. I happened to have a friend that had a copy they let me try, it does way more than I need and costs way more than I want to spend, but it exists if you think you need it.

Last edited:
There is a free software package from Molex, don't have a link, but it is Molex_EIPTool_V2_3(ODVA). It is not very intuitive, but if you know how E/IP works, you should be able to get it going.

After quite the ordeal of getting SoftLogix installed and working, it was exactly as expected, the device was working fine and my PLC (not a Rockwell PLC) was just dropping the ball. Mysteriously, when I connected everything back to the PLC it started reading in the correct values. I'm wondering if something about SoftLogix talking to the device got it running.

I did acquire a copy of EIPScan and played with it, and it was much easier than the hours of screwing around getting SoftLogix to work. I'm really surprised there isn't an open source program like there are for ModbusTCP, there isn't anything special about Ethernet/IP.

EDIT: EIPScan is not cheap and you can't download it from the open internet. I happened to have a friend that had a copy they let me try, it does way more than I need and costs way more than I want to spend, but it exists if you think you need it.

Sound familiar! did you try to reboot both device & PLC & without softLogix and see it's still working

There is a free software package from Molex, don't have a link, but it is Molex_EIPTool_V2_3(ODVA). It is not very intuitive, but if you know how E/IP works, you should be able to get it going.

Hello:

The Molex ODVA Tools has CIP client capability but not scanner capability.

In order to do a quick test I recommend you download the Codesys engineering tool. There is an option for Windows based soft PLC which runs in demo mode for about an hour.

It is relatively easy to use and it handles EDS files very well.

You can try this one....It works very well for most IP scanning. May also work for EthernetIP.
I am stunned at the amount of information it pulls in. Very cool software.

https://www.komodolabs.com/ip-scanner/

It is free for up to 50 devices, but I have had no issue scanning more than that.

NetNathan, I think this product you mention is an IP scanner, as in Internet Protocol scanner. It is used to detect the IP addresses of devices connected to a network, whether they support or not EtherNet/IP protocol.

The original post is inquiring for a Windows-based EtherNet/IP scanner (as in Industrial Protocol, not Internet Protocol). There are not that many around, and there is none free to my knowledge, and I have been doing EtherNet/IP for a while now.