PLC to SQL

ndecks

I have a photo eye connected to a PLC. I’d like the know every time the photo eye does not see a box after let’s say 5 minutes. I want that information to be dumped into our SQL server so that we can trend it.
How do I do that.
Thanks in advance for the help.

There are a couple of ways to go:

1. You can develop a custom VB application and use an OPC .net control to interface with the PLC and have VB populate your SQL database.

2. You can develop a custom VB app and use an OPC Server like Kepware or Ingear. This is more programming intensive.

3. Software Toolbox offers a data historian that can log data to a SQL server database. This requires no programming, only configuration.

Regards

Try FactorySQL. BTW, don't develop a custom application for data logging unless you're a proficient programmer. Even then, the problem's been solved - don't go there.

I don't know if you are still looking for an answer. I agree with surferb, don't do a custom VB/C# app. There are tools out there that are more robust.
What type of PLC do you have? RSSQL from Rockwell can do Allen-Bradley to SQL Server. I/Gear (www.igearonline.com) has a product that is more versatile; it can connect to any PLC through an OPC server and any database or text file.

I use this http://www.oldi.com/xcoupler_index.htm

No pc to worry with no software crashes and no losing data,etc.

In the past i used RsSql for this which works well once it is setup but when you get a bad windows update for .net or your IT guy decides to install their newest untested **** then getting data collection back running is on you.

Also you don't have to worry about a forklift taking out the data collection pc. That happened to me a couple times.

Sheesh.

forklift o_O!?!? - don't you guys have cabinets or air conditioned control rooms for PCs? All you need to run is a single Ethernet cable between the data logger and your "danger zone" - I imagine a situation with PCs on the floor and PLCs dangling from equipment on wires...:eek:

I use this http://www.oldi.com/xcoupler_index.htm

No pc to worry with no software crashes and no losing data,etc.

In the past i used RsSql for this which works well once it is setup but when you get a bad windows update for .net or your IT guy decides to install their newest untested **** then getting data collection back running is on you.

Also you don't have to worry about a forklift taking out the data collection pc. That happened to me a couple times.

Sheesh.

Most plants have pc’s on the floor for production use.

At least a thin client. Kinda hard to let production have access when it is all in the control room?

I don’t know about you but we don’t want everyone in and out of the server rooms and closets

The pc’s are in airconditioned kiosk type enclosures and some are thin clients but a bad lift driver will destroy cabinet and all.

I know...was being facetious. But on a more serious note, the servers, databases, and data loggers (central aspects) should be off the floor. The clients might be fork lift accessible, but that needn't stop your process.

Most plants have pc’s on the floor for production use.

At least a thin client. Kinda hard to let production have access when it is all in the control room?

I don’t know about you but we don’t want everyone in and out of the server rooms and closets

The pc’s are in airconditioned kiosk type enclosures and some are thin clients but a bad lift driver will destroy cabinet and all.

Before I started working here some genius decided to put the data collection and hmi server machines in the same kiosk stand as the production pc’s to save money by not having to run cat 5 back to the nearest server room.

They may have saved a few bucks upfront but there are too many pc’s in one enclosure and the cooling system can’t keep up so we lose pc’s a lot in this application due to heat.

I have tried several times to get it changed to no limit. I guess they just like buying new pc’s

Lol - classic!

Before I started working here some genius decided to put the data collection and hmi server machines in the same kiosk stand as the production pc’s to save money by not having to run cat 5 back to the nearest server room.