Question on creating a search/lookup on HMI?

instruward

I'm wanting to create some sort of lookup search window for equipment tags on the HMI. I have a factorytalk view studio hmi file that has been filled will many different screens from various venders/programmers.

If I am trying to find Motor1234, I would like to be able to type in *1234* and have it tell me what screen that motor is on. It is my understanding that this isn't a native feature for view studio. If I have to compile the list myself of the thousands of motor and instrument tags, I plan to eventually.

I'm just not certain the best way to approach this, if I can build and excel sheet and have the HMI perform a lookup? My experience has been more DeltaV, and there is a very strong link between the HMI and the I/O backend, and this lookup feature is sorely missed.

I think the runtime... Basically as the operator in the plant. We will have an operator tell us that M1234 is "not working". I would like the electricians to quickly find what HMI screen that motor is on to look at the faceplate to see the motor status.

In DeltaV, typing in 1234 into the search box brings up several things. It brings up a button to take you to the screen that motor is on, it brings up the control module where the function block programming is, and it brings up the I/O location. My understanding is that I can't do this with PLCs. However I would like to try and make a crude lookup for motor tags indicating what screen it's on, I'm thinking about trying to link it with an excel sheet.

Last edited:
Siemens and Foxboro IA also has the tag search feature, I think it's because there is one common database for all the tags. Most HMI packages do not have this feature. I have never seen it outside of a DCS environment.

If you have Office installed on the HMI you should be able to drop in a Excel or Word document. If you can search it I don't know. In FTView it might be easier to do some kind of SQL table lookup based on a entry field.

In FTVE ME Studio there is a cross reference to do what you ask but, it is only available in the development part of the software. It will show displays, tag database location, that contain the name searched. Even if it is a partial name. You also could use the cross reference to search the PLC Shortcut used in the communication setup folder. This will show any tags that are mapped directly to the PLC and not thru the tag database. Make sure you include the []'s in search.

If you want to build some kind of search option for motors then I would suggest using a display list selector that would show the names of all motors in the system. Then build a parameter file for each or a set of motors and use the display list selector to load the appropriate parameter file and use only one screen to display that information. Any description or Information for each motor could be created in a memory tag in the tag database in a string format and set as the initial value of the tag and also loaded using the parameter file. I would also use the import feature of the tag database to create new folders and tags needed. It's just easier to copy paste info. in the csv file and import.

If there are that many motors create a dynamic screen call. They type the motor hit a button and it opens a window for that motor.

Considering this is for a DCS system where it's very likely that every thing is done with configurable blocks, this would be the way I'd go for too.
Perhaps just a selection box to define what you want to open (Motor, Valve, Analog In, Analogue Out, etc...).

cwal61 That gives me something to look into, I think we use the SE version but I trust it should be similar. The display list selector seems like a good starting point for me, thanks.

jstolaruk - Yes a tag browser is exactly what I was imagining, I'm quite surprised this isn't a standard feature. We have quite a number of operator stations around the facility that are thin clients, not HMIs. We are use to being able to type FIC and have it list every single flow controller loop in the building. I can even type a poor description like "exhaust" and have it list every motor tag with the description "exhaust" (dryer/boiler/HVAC). It's extremely useful for inhouse maintenance people.