1756-l82s

kekrahulik

Just sharing some experience...

I now have a 1756-L82S processor to replace an L72S ver28. The L82S requires upgrading to ver31.

I opened the ver28 program and changed the processor to L82S ver31. It seemed like the normal conversion at first...and then it started listing that it was converting modules (drives and IO) which I don't recall seeing before in other upgrades. When it got to a PF755 drive with datalinks, RSStudio bombed out. After multiple attempts, I finally deleted the 755 and the conversion completed such that I could open it in ver31. Not sure if it didn't like the 755 or if the datalinks was maybe the issue.

Ver31 looks a little different. Nothing alarming, but the icons in the controller organizer are different and the program(ladder window) has a different look.

I manually added the 755 drive back into the IO tree. Opening up the drive properties looks a little different too. I also couldn't find "datalinks", but I was able to add the old linked parameters as Inputs and outputs - which seems to be making the program happy.

I installed the processor and partner in my test rack. When I browsed to it with RSLinx, it showed as an "?unknown device, 1756-L82ES". It would not let me select it as something I could download to. I grabbed the latest firmware and EDS from AB's website and installed them - still listed as unknown. So I used ControlFlash (ver 15 req'd) to flash the safety partner and then the controller (BTW - the controller isn't listed as 1756-L82S like the L7xS controller are listed - it is listed as a Guardlogix 8xS - took awhile to realize that). Once I had the firmware loaded, I was able to load the converted program. Hopefully will get a downtime oppty to try it out soon.