Installing Studio 5000 v21

rroze002

Hi all,

I'm setting up a new field laptop and need Studio 5000 v21 and v29. Now I remember there were some issues with v21, something about security, but for some reason (probably unrelated) I can't run v21.

I had no issues with v29 but when lunching v21, rslogix goes right to the system crash screen and starts generating a log file. I wasn't able to make much sense from looking at the log file, other than the flag about an 'unknown operating system'.

Has anyone seen this issue or similar before? Should I be installing in acceding order, v21 then v29? Any help would be appreciated.

BR

Studio 5000 v21 is not officially supported beyond Windows 7...

The following is from the Release Notes for Studio 5000 Version 21.00.04 (released 2/2017)

Software Requirements v21

System Requirements

Logix Designer 21.x
Operating system and service pack compatibility:

This version of RSLogix 5000 software has been tested on the following operating systems:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) with Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) with Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) with Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with Service Pack 1

This version of RSLogix 5000 software is expected to operate correctly on all other editions and service packs of the following operating systems, but has not been tested:
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Studio 5000 v29 is not officially supported beyond Windows 8 -

The following is from the Release Notes for Studio 5000 Version 29.00.01 (released 8/2016)

System Requirements

Logix Designer version 29.x
Operating system and service pack compatibility:

This version of the Logix Designer application has been tested on the following operating systems:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) with Service Pack 1
Microsoft 7 Home Premium (32-bit) with Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition with Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition (server version of Windows 8)

Important:
While the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems run on many touch-enabled devices, various features of the Logix Designer application may not be touch-enabled. Most functions are expected to work with touch, but the software has only been tested with a keyboard and mouse. This version of Logix Designer is expected to operate correctly on all other editions and service packs of the following operating systems but has not been tested:
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
Microsoft Windows 8
Microsoft Windows Server 2012
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2

Important:
Logix Designer application may fail to launch if the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system is installed on your personal computer
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the important remark at the end. This was put here because Windows 10 was in existence when Studio 5000 v29 was released in 2016 (Windows 10 was released in 2015). They had not designed it to be compatible with Windows 10 so they specifically warn as such.

Even though the latest v21.00.04 Release Notes are dated 2/2017, there is no similar mention of Windows 10 or how it may cause issues. One reason for this may simply be the fact that the original v21.00.00 was released in 2012 before Windows 10 existed and it's Release Notes could not have mentioned Windows 10. When the newer v21.00.04 were released in 2017, the Release Notes were updated but the important remark for Windows 10 was not added. It could have been, but was possibly just not thought of?

Either way, Studio 5000 v21 and v29 are officially not compatible with Windows 10. I always like to make it clear that they/I are stating that these versions of software are not "officially" supported, but that does not mean that they will definitely not work at all.

A couple of tricks that some users are finding various degrees of success with...

For the particular software version, set the "LogixDesigner.exe" executable file properties to Windows XP SP3 compatibility.

Also, try right-clicking on the executable file and "Run as Administrator". If this works, it usually only takes the once. After a reboot it should then always open (if it works). Make sure it is the actual executable file for version 21, etc. and not the Studio 5000 shortcut on the Desktop or similar.

If you are still in trouble perhaps you could post up the error text or a screenshot if possible? That way we may be able to further narrow things down here.

jstolaruk is setting your heading in the right direction to start with.

Regards,
George