BootP - Windows 10

Maybe it was an update to Windows 10? I'm like 99.9% sure that BootP used to work on my Windows 10 laptop, then one day it stopped working.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Once I get done with this startup, I'll have to see if I can actually navigate Rockwell's site to submit a proper ticket. Too bad you can't just go under the exist TN# and click a button that says "this is not resolved" :D

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is a Windows service that enables one Internet-connected computer to share its Internet connection with other computers on a local area network (LAN). The computer that shares its Internet connection serves as a gateway device, meaning that all traffic between other computers and the Internet go through this computer. ICS provides Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and network address translation (NAT) services for the LAN computers.

Cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Connection_Sharing
So, that DHCP service may be what is using port 67, and stopping any other Bootp server from binding to port 67.

Is it possible to disable ICS briefly to allow a separate Bootp server to assign the IP address to the PLC, then stop that Bootp server and restart ICS?

You could easily make a batch script that would stop those services, open the BootP software, then restart the services when you close the BootP software.

But like other users are saying, this is a band-aid fix. It would be nice to know what's causing this issue.

Run this command bold blue below from a cmd.exe window:
C:\Users\...>netstat -ano > Downloads\netstat-ano.txt

C:\Users\...>
Then post that file, netstat-ano.txt, to this thread.

Mine is attached below; there are no UDP binds to port 67; and Bootp.exe starts up fine on my system. If you do see :67 on a UDP line, then that is why Rockwell's Bootp cannot start.

But like other users are saying, this is a band-aid fix.

I disagree. This is a feature of IP networking: only one server can bind to a port; as much as I'd like to blame RA, the fact is that if some other server binds the port first, then that is not in RA's wheelhouse, it is not something RA can anticipate or control, so it is not RA's problem; the help file for the Bootp tool even refers to this issue several times.

The question I have, is why is OP's laptop running ICS? For which hosts is that laptop providing connectivity?

I wonder if the Bootp tool could be added to the services to bind port 67 before ICS starts.

Also, I found an Open Bootp server that seemed to suggest changing the IP address of the network card; a network card can have multiple IP addresses simultaneously, so perhaps an alternate IP addres could be used by a Bootp server, with its own port 67 unbound by ICS or anything else, to execute the Bootp protocol with the PLC (since IP addressing is not used except for a broadcast, the subnet is irrelevant).

Cf. https://go.antamedia.com/help/hotspot-standalone-open-dhcp-server/

the fact is that if some other server binds the port first, then that is not in RA's wheelhouse, it is not something RA can anticipate or control, so it is not RA's problem; the help file for the Bootp tool even refers to this issue several times.

The question I have, is why is OP's laptop running ICS? For which hosts is that laptop providing connectivity?

Then you're not disagreeing with me, you simply misunderstood what I was saying. I know it's not RA's fault, as my Keyence BootP software has the same issue.

What I was saying was that it would be nice to know what changed, why, and how to fix why Windows 10 suddenly stopped working with BootP software unless the ICS service has been stopped. I said earlier that I'm pretty sure it used to work on my Windows 10 laptop, but now it doesn't.

I'm running Win10 Pro 20H2 19042.1348 ExpPack 120.2212.3920.0
No issues with BootP Server 3.05.00 as of this morning.

> Then you're not disagreeing with me, ...

Ah, gotcha.

@phuz and @hardaysknight: what does your networking look like? do you have two network interfaces running e.g. "Corporate Wifi" for internet connectivity and "Plant Ethernet" to talk to the plant hardware?

I cannot even figure out how to get ICS running ... ah, wait a minute, I need two networks: I set up the USB dongle WiFi using a separate subnet (192.168.137.0/255.255.255.0; the wired Ethernet is 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0), and now I have a process listening on UDP port 67; see image below.

Maybe Window 10 Pro automatically fires up ICS when it sees two network cards? That would be a Bad Thing, but that doesn't guarantee it will not happen.

Anyway, if ICS fires up a DHCP/Bootp server, is there no way to configure it to configure ICS itself, which I assume is running a Bootp/DHCP server, to tell the PLC what its IP address should be, when the PLC makes a Bootp client request?

xxx.png

My desktop/tower:

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎ 7/‎1/‎2020
OS build 19043.1348
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Last edited:
This is amusing: I turned off the WiFi (which is where the 192.168.137.1 address was), and all of the services on 192.168.137.1 disappeared, for both TCP and UDP, except UDP ports 67 and 68 i.e. Bootp/DHCP i.e. ICS at PID 5012 is hanging around like a stale phart.

Last edited:
Isn't that relevant only if you have two TCP/IP network interfaces?

My networking knowledge is non existent. I know how to configure an IP address and that's about it. I was just throwing my build information into the discussion to help track what versions are working. I do have WIFI, GBe Lan, and a secondary USB Lan port on this machine, and I still have no issues.

> Then you're not disagreeing with me, ...

@phuz and @hardaysknight: what does your networking look like? do you have two network interfaces running e.g. "Corporate Wifi" for internet connectivity and "Plant Ethernet" to talk to the plant hardware?

Sort of. My laptop requires a USB dongle for ethernet (damn you, IT). So it's usually missing from device manager. But I'm not sure if that's the issue (at least for me), because like I said, it previously worked on this laptop under the same conditions. When I do use BootP, I'm usually pretty careful to turn off my Wi-Fi and only use the ethernet dongle as to not accidentally select the wrong network device.

My only guess could be some rogue software causing ICS to turn on, or a Windows update.

I have not used BootP in years but what I do...

Start ControlFlash
Act like I am going to flash the product and put in my IP address that I want
Let it time out... then put in the MAC address
Then once it finds and assigns the IP address for my product I cancel ControlFlash if I dont need to flash, the first this ControlFlash does is assign the IP address

I have found it faster and easier than using BootP

This is also nice to have if you do a lot https://www.plccable.com/allen-brad...dress-explorer-dhcp-and-bootp-server-sim-ipe/