timers for ge fanuc

microthene

does anyone know how to increase the amount of time that a timer can time?

i cant get more than 3000 seconds out of any of the timers.

The maximum value for the preset in any of the timer functions is 32767, and the timer resolution can be tenths, hundredths, or thousandths of a second, so the longest time interval that a single timer can measure is 3276.7 seconds.

To handle longer increments you need to use some other technique. The most common is to use one timer that times up to 60 seconds and resets itself. Every time the timer gets to seconds, have it increment a counter. The accumulated value in the counter will be minutes, and the accumulated value in the timer will be seconds.

If you can stand the lack of resolution, %S0006 is a contact that stays on for 30 seconds, then goes off for 30 seconds. You could use it as the trigger for the minutes counter.

There are other methods you could use, but these are the most common.

im not sure how that would work.

i am trying to turn on two outputs for 15 minutes every 8 hours.
the only way i know to do this is by using 9 ontimers that turn the next one on

8 hours is 480 minutes. Use the %S0006 bit to trigger a counter. When the counter accumulated value is greater than or equal to 480, turn on your outputs. When the counter accumulated value reaches 495, reset the timer and start over.

If you want to turn on the outputs at a specific time of day, and you have a 90-30 CPU331 or higher, or any VersaPro or 90-70, you can read the PLC's internal clock/calendar to determine when to turn on the outputs and use a timer to set the 15 minute on duration.