ControlLogix w/ multiple processors

darwinfisch

Warning: newbie question.

I'm sure the solution to this is head-slappingly simple to someone with more experience than I, but I've been stumped for a while now and I've looked all over for the answers.

I have two ControlLogix 1756-L61 Logix5561 processors that I'm trying to get to live together in the same A10/A chassis. I'm running Logix5000 v13 and have upgraded the firmware on both processors appropriately. There are two different programs that I've downloaded to each. I can get either of them to run on its own, but as soon as both processors are in place, either one or both runs into a major or minor fault, causing me to start the process again.

I have removed all other cards from the chassis and I'm focusing simply on the two processors. The I/O configuration for each lists the other in its appropriate slot.

Please help me to avoid seeing solid and blinking red lights in my nightmares tonight. Thank you.

First, be assured that multiple controllers in a single chassis is straightforward and very common.

Solid red lights are really bad news; blinking red a little less so.

Have you been able to capture any of the fault codes from the controllers when you go back online with them ?

One of the first things I would do is check both I/O configurations to make sure the controllers aren't attempting to own the same I/O modules. Listen-Only connections are fine, but they should not attempt to own the same modules or one of them will get a blinking green I/O LED from the I/O connection failure.

Actual controller faults are possible if two controllers attempt to own the same I/O module and the "major fault if connection fails in run mode" checkbox for the I/O module is checked. Again, the controller status window's "Major Faults" and "Minor Faults" tabs will provide very useful information.

Another simple diagnostic is to load one controller with its application program but disconnect the battery (and the CF card) from the other to clear it, then place it into the chassis without a program.

Do the faults occur immediately after power-up, or do they happen after the system has been running for a while ? Does the run mode of either controller make a different in the fault frequency ?

Thank you, Ken.
I shouldn't be having a problem with one controller wanting to own the I/O since right now I have no other I/O present, either physically or in the configurations.

The fault I'm getting is:
(Type 01) Power-up Fault
(Code 60) Non-recoverable Fault

I tracked down Code 60, which doesn't look pretty. "On power-up, a non-recoverable fault occurred which resulted in loss of controller memory integrity. The controller has been reset and memory has been cleared." Solution - download new program and call Rockwell for a diagnosis.

Still, it seems unlikely that I've either damaged the units or that they're defective, since on their own they still work fine. When the faults occur, they're immediate upon startup.

I tried the battery removal, which caused that controller to startup fine, but the first to fault. I am not using CF cards in either. Does AB perhaps have a reference for this kind of procedure? If they do, they keep it well hidden.

Can we establish whether it is hardware, or project related ?

Download a New, empty, project to each controller, one-by-one.

Then place both in the chassis together. Does the fault occur ?

Daba,
New, blank projects, Test1, Test2, no logic, no i/o config.

Processor 1 placed in chassis slot 0, fault cleared, green light, program uploaded (proc. set to slot 0), everything happy.
Shutdown chassis.
Proc. 1 removed, proc. 2 placed in slot 1.
Turn on chassis.
Proc. 2 fault cleared, green light, program uploaded (proc set to slot 1), everything happy.
Shutdown chassis.
Proc 1 placed back in chassis.
Turn on chassis.
Proc 1 green light, proc 2 (and my face) solid red.

Something's wrong with the hardware.

I just did the exact same thing with a pair of 1756-L63/A controllers in a 1756-A7/B chassis with a 1756-PA72/B power supply.

To be thorough, I did it with version 16.54 and with version 13.44 firmware.

Each time, every time, the controllers came up and would go into RUN mode with solid green lights.

Are you possibly overloading the power supply ? Maybe a 1756-PA75 power supply with a Series A chassis (not compatible).

Have you checked the controllers to be sure they don't fall under the bad batch of Atmel backplane chips ? (PSA ACIG 2007-05-002)

Users run multiple CPUs in the same chassis all the time. Something in the system has to have a hardware defect.

I concur with Ken, hardware fault.

Blank projects have nothing that will prevent 2 controllers residing in the same chassis - do it all day everyday (well it seems like it....)

Have you got another chassis you can try this in ?

Have you got another controller you can swap-out with #1 then #2 to see if you can isolate a faulty processor ?

Unlikely to be the Power Supply, but if you have another, try swapping.

Ken, Daba, thanks.
I may have another chassis and/or controller to test with. I'll spend some time on it early next week and let you know what I come up with. I appreciate the help.

Control_logic, I work in south Orlando, at ITEC Entertainment. There are others I can consult with here, but I'm trying to teach myself this stuff and sometimes the best way to learn is to just bang my head against the wall a few times. o_O Thanks for the offer, though. Incidentally, I live in Winter Garden... I know that Back Stage Technologies is out in this area. You with them?

Well, I've reached a conclusion, of sorts. I need to talk to Rockwell about this to get their take, but what I've found is that the two 5561 controllers do not like being adjacent to each other. All my efforts last week were trying to get them to work side by side, but when I moved one of the controllers to slot 2 instead of 1, everything went green in a jiffy. I've also tried moving them around to other slots and the same rule applied.

I did these same tests using another 4-card chassis we have and the results were the same. Either one or both of the controllers is defective in a rather odd way, or there is some unwritten rule about the placement of these models in a chassis together.

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks, Rdrast, but my equipment is new (January, this year), where the products mentioned in the technote were manufactured between 09/06 and 07/07.

Thanks, Rdrast, but my equipment is new (January, this year), where the products mentioned in the technote were manufactured between 09/06 and 07/07.

Aye, but it doesn't hurt to take a fast look at the chips anyway; just as a 'Cover all bases' approach (or maybe discovering a new one).

Have you gotten the extract utility from Rockwell to send them up the processors dump file after that 60 fault?