best laptop

current laptop

My current laptop is about 3 years old.
It has an I7 processor @ 2.6GHZ.
32 gib memory
1 terabyte of NvMe hard drive.
I was just trying to spec out a new laptop, and I can't even find one w/ better specs.

Only problem is that the boot drive is only 256GB. So my only option seems to clone that and upgrade the C drive.

whoops, me other problem:
All my software works w/ windows 10, as long as I install it first on windows 7 and then upgrade the OS after.

Only reason for buying another laptop is for redundancy, as my laptop provides food for me and my family.

Well, the results are in.
The laptop sucks at cooling.
The person that said that I didn't need a video card was most likely correct.

Lenovo Thinkpad without high end graphic.

Laptop with high end graphic will consume the battery much faster, in my experience and for our type work, they are not needed.

I have to use solid works so I have a 8gb ram graphic cards, but for the laptops that I dont need solid workw any similar or better specs than this
- Intel i5 gen3
- Ram 16gb
- ssd 512gb storage
- hdd 1tb storage (optional)

The thinkpad series are robust and somewhat impact resistant

i have a dell latitude 5420 rugged.
2 batteries, so no cd.
16 gig ram, i5 - didn't expect that, but its good.
c port, 3 usb, hdmi port, ethernet port, and best of all, 9 pin serial port and
built in handle.

Toshiba no longer makes laptops, or i would recommend it.
boots in 12 seconds using solid state drives.
regards,
james

I'm with harrything and QvixoteRoux: very happy to use Thinkpad series laptops. They are well made, reliable, robust. Don't forget the keyboards. I haven't met a match for a Thinkpad keyboard on any other laptop. If you don't run software that needs high end graphic card, get one without that. The graphic card drains batteries very fast. My current Thinkpad is a P-series with graphic card. That is the only thing that I would leave out on the successor, as it turns out I don't need it. Things like Solidworks, ePlan may use it. PLC programming software does not.

In addition to the great keyboards and overall robust nature of these laptops, I specifically like to have options for adding hardware. Memory upgrade, one or two extra NVME drives. I have one extra SSD, which I use for VM's.