How do you describe what you do for a living?

My normal response "As little as possible" if that does not work then I tell them "I make computer cables" normally thats enough to change the subject and have a better conversation.

After starting as an electrician in our company's technical services 13 years ago, my main focus has changed to automation and everything that comes with it. When people ask me where I work and what I do in our company I tell them that we call our office Department Headquarters of problem solving and my job function Company Prostitute.

It is said that "necessity was the mother of invention". I can expand that to say that laziness was the father and that is often where automation engineers come in.

I'm currently building an automatic watering system for my greenhouse because I'm too lazy/forgetful to water it myself (and I hope, one day, to go on holiday).

Nick

It is said that "necessity was the mother of invention". I can expand that to say that laziness was the father and that is often where automation engineers come in.

I'm currently building an automatic watering system for my greenhouse because I'm too lazy/forgetful to water it myself (and I hope, one day, to go on holiday).

Nick

Automation is to increase productivity and accuracy; also to reduce cost.

Automation is to increase productivity and accuracy; also to reduce cost.

You can think that if you like and sometimes it might even be true. I've worked most of my life in the machinery building business: no automation = no machine. "I make things work" and, as you say, as efficiently and accurately as possible.

Nick

When I was in school I went for a job interview at a local mom & pop restaurant/pizza joint.

During the interview the owner asked me if I was lazy, I said no. He said "Too bad" because he thought lazy people were the ones to think of ways to do things easier, faster, cheaper, etc.

When I was in school I went for a job interview at a local mom & pop restaurant/pizza joint.

During the interview the owner asked me if I was lazy, I said no. He said "Too bad" because he thought lazy people were the ones to think of ways to do things easier, faster, cheaper, etc.

Isn't this a Bill Gates quote - I will always give a lazy person a difficult job, because they'll find an easy way to do it.

But to ask that question to a college kid, F that guy. Same with questions like, "why do you want to work here" or "where do you see yourself in 5 years".

Like, dude you are paying about min. wage, I just want to make some money. Then after school, I'll never work for you again.

he thought lazy people were the ones to think of ways to do things easier, faster, cheaper, etc.
Does he think hard-working people intentionally do things the harder, slower, more expensive way?

If you think it is 'laziness' that makes someone find a better way to do things, you must have been blessed to not know may actual lazy people. The truly lazy will look for ways to do less work without regard for whether things actually get done properly.

Looking for better ways to do things is just (un)common sense, some people happen to be better at it or more invested in succeeding.