RSLogix 5000 Error - won't open file

cstech

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm getting the following error message on a file that I have been working on all day:

Failed to open file 'C:\.....program_name.ACD'. Project file was created with a newer version of RSLogix 5000 software.

The error code is 717-80042005.

I created this project with this laptop, this RSLogix software, and have been working just fine prior to right now. I even pulled my backup from the NAS, and same thing...

Ideas? Thanks in advance!
Chip

try opening the ACD file with WordPad and read the header at the top ... it might shed some light on the problem ... usually the last entry is the one you're interested in ... it should give the date and the version of the last save operation ...

also ...

do Help > About in RSLogix5000 to check the version number ... I'm guessing that you have more than one version loaded on your computer - and somewhere along the line you've switch from using one version to another ... again - just a GUESS ...

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Here is what the last line of the header says:

2012-10-06 15:56:09.446: Saved - V19.01.00/3432.000

...which seems about right.

From the help menu in RSLogix - V19.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 3), and it is the only one installed on this laptop. Furthermore, I created the program on this laptop, and have only edited it here as well.

I am baffled - I wonder if something is corrupted in my installation?

Chip

Ugh - after looking at another file in Word Pad, I am thinking that the file I am attempting to open is corrupt somehow. It looks pretty nasty in comparison...

cross your fingers and try opening the BAK file with the HIGHEST number ... each time you save a file, the software automatically makes a BAK file ... maybe the latest BAK file will be good enough to save your hide ...

No luck - evidently, my backup on the office NAS, and my .bak were both created from the corrupt file. I don't understand what happened - I was editing, saved, closed the program, put the laptop to sleep, and when I reopened, it was corrupt. o_O

I could try opening the file on my PC, that will determine if it's the file or the laptop that is screwed.

email it to the address in the avatar if you have permission to

Thanks for the offer Daba - I have confirmed it was the file, and not the PC. I still maintain that this MacBook Pro running Boot Camp is the best Windows laptop I've ever had - but that's a topic for another discussion.

After some additional research, here is what I believe happened:

- After working on the file and saving regularly for several hours, the file would no longer save (the error was something like "file cannot be found" even though it was open)
- Research revealed that something was messing with the Temp files that RSLogix uses when a file is open
- The Temp files on my laptop were completely gone - a result of an automatic script run by the IT remote monitoring and management agent installed
- I used Recuva from Piriform to recover the deleted files, and was able to restore 4 of the 6 Temp files that were deleted
- The file was now able to save, and save as, so I thought I was out of the woods

Anyway, several more hours of work later, I saved the file, and went to the machine to load the new program. Upon connecting, RSLogix prompted me that there were differences between the PLC version and local version - I cancelled any action not wanting to load my changes yet.

Upon attempting to load my changes after that, the error message that the file was created by a newer version of RSLogix began. No attempt to manually modify the header or any other work around was successful.

I now realize my mistake was not being more thorough in making sure my recovery from the Temp file issue was complete before continuing to work on the file - let my mistake be your lesson if you find yourself in a similar scenario!

Anyway, the majority of my work was organizational and tag based (of which I had an export), so it was not too painful to recreate my work - things could have been much worse!

Thanks for all the help!
Chip

- The Temp files on my laptop were completely gone - a result of an automatic script run by the IT remote monitoring and management agent installed.....

Chip

I hope they have set up exceptions now....

I have heard other stories like this, usually resulting in the machines used for programming being "disowned" by the IT department. Of course that means they are not allowed on the corporate network anymore, so any online help that may be available for a software package, or in support of hardware, is not so easily accessible.

I find it amazing that an automatic script is deleting temp files on machines that are running software !!

RSLogix5000 isn't the only software package that uses temp files while in use, and I shudder to think of the consequences of deleting them without shutting down the applications.

IMHO this routine "clean-up" is a potential bomb !!

PS. There are also 2 other files used by the software while it is running. They are in the same directory as the .ACD file, and are the same project name, but with extensions .SEM and .WRK

These are responsible for ensuring the .ACD file cannot be opened by more than one instance of RSLogix5000 - on the PC, or from a network or shared drive.

RSLogix deletes these when the program is closed normally, but you may find them occasionally if the sodtware did not graciously exit, or the laptop battery died, for example. They are completely safe to delete, providing the project is not open in RSLogix.

Last edited:
Good info on the .SEM and .WRK!

My laptop is now on the exceptions list for that script...I'm really surprised that this hasn't happened before now!

It might be worth pointing out to the IT people that deleting temp files on a machine that is running any applications could be disastrous in so many ways.

It seems odd to me that they want to run this script to "keep the machines clean", and then give your laptop an exception !! - "It only takes one spark to start a fire"

Perhaps they need to implement their housekeeping utilities in a different way, not just blast the PCs while they are doing important, or possibly vital, activities....

Just had another thought...

Go into Tools->Options, and Enable Automatic Project Recovery - set the interval as you want it.

Then, if this happens again, and you can't save the file you are working on, you can call up the Task Manager and terminate RSLogix5000.

When you open the file again, RSLogix will see the auto-recovery file, (it will be there because you terminated RSLogix, rather than exited normally), and give you the option to recover the last auto-save.