3 Dimensional DINT and alarm values

Looking at your Imagine it seems you have an array with a length of 3 not a 3 dimensional Tag. A 3D tag would be Tagname[n,n,n] an Array with a length of 3 is Tagname[0], Tagname[1] and Tagname[2]. The imagine shown of the alarms will not activate because you have the trigger at the bit level. (Tagname[n].x) The only value a bit can have is 1 or 0.

Now if you have set your trigger to the DINT tagname in the trigger tab and also selected trigger type as bits then the numbers in the trigger column would correspond to the bits in the DINT -1. Like the last one in your imagine. tagname[2].27 = 28th bit.

But your trigger only needs to be Tagname[2] The 28 in the next column is what infers Tagname[2].27

I might not be thinking about this correctly. I assumed "Array Dimensions" and the selection of the "3" mean this array would have three dimensions

My question should have been

Would {Alarms_Motors(0).1} having a trigger value of 2
Conflict with {Alarm_Motors(1).1}having a trigger value of 2
Or are the separated by the dimension

Capture 3.PNG
Capture 4.PNG

Capture 5.PNG Capture 3.PNG Capture 4.PNG

Last edited:
Each DINT and BIT of an array is independent of all the others

The value of one DINT or status of one BIT will not have any effect of the rest of the array.

An array is just a nice way to group values together in a logical method.

My question should have been

Would {Alarms_Motors(0).1} having a trigger value of 2
Conflict with {Alarm_Motors(1).1}having a trigger value of 2
Or are the separated by the dimension

I see Aabeck answered your question but I wanted to make sure you understand that Alarms_Motors[0].1 will never have a value of 2 Just like Alarms_Motors[0].27 will never be equal to 28 only 1 or 0.

To use those values then your Trigger should be set up like this. Trigger Type should be set to Bit.
Alarm Motors.PNG

Your Message file would look like this.
Alarm Motors1.PNG

If you use {[ShortCut]Alarm_Motors[0].1 then the trigger value will have to be 1 to show the alarm message not 2.

Last edited:
Just to clarify - this is not a three-dimensional array. It's a one-dimensional array with three elements. Which, as others have already clarified for you - are completely independent entities.

A one dimensional array might be called "Array_1D" and have a data type of DINT[4]. This then gives you four DINT's - Array_1D[0] through Array_1D[3]. You might represent it like this:
Code:
Array_1D[0]   Array_1D[1]   Array_1D[2]   Array_1D[3]
A two dimensional array might be called "Array_2D" and have a data type of DINT[4,3]. This then gives you a "grid" of 12 DINT's - Array_2D[0,0] through Array_2D[3,2]. You might represent it like this:
Code:
Array_2D[0,0]   Array_2D[1,0]   Array_2D[2,0]   Array_2D[3,0]
Array_2D[0,1]   Array_2D[1,1]   Array_2D[2,1]   Array_2D[3,1]
Array_2D[0,2]   Array_2D[1,2]   Array_2D[2,2]   Array_2D[3,2]
A three dimensional array might be called "Array_3D" and have a data type of DINT[4,3,5]. This would give you a total of 4x3x5=60 DINT's - Array_3D[0,0,0] through Array_3D[3,2,4]. I'm not going to attempt to ASCII-art that one :D

Understood ASF, I appreciate your explanation.

FYI, be closer to your neck of the woods in the near future, have a start up of a new facility in New Zealand first quarter next year.

Ah, Kiwiland is nice that time of year. You really should pop your head in next door while you're here, it's only a three hour flight!