A Free HMI with Eye Catching Graphics is Now Available

I feel silly asking but how can I display a text string from a AB PLC ?
I tried using "MessageDisplay" by Bit and by Value and both give me an 'invalid value returned!" followed by the actual value of the tag.

Example: If the tag holds "Hello", the display reads "Invalid Value Returned!Hello"

I feel silly asking but how can I display a text string from a AB PLC ?
I tried using "MessageDisplay" by Bit and by Value and both give me an 'invalid value returned!" followed by the actual value of the tag.

Example: If the tag holds "Hello", the display reads "Invalid Value Returned!Hello"

Try using a BasicLabel.

PLC address value

Could somebody refresh my memory on how to enter the value for "PLC address value", for example for a digital panel meter object.
For example, I have a RSLogix 5000 project with this structure:
Tasks->Main_Task_Periodic->Main_Program
"Main_Task_Periodic" is a task and "Main_Program" is a program
Then, inside Main_Program I have the tag "Motor.Amperage".
I don't know if I have to enter something like:
Main_Task_Periodic.Main_Program.Motor.Amperage
I've tried several combinations, using ":" and ".", but it is not working...

Thank you in advance!

I'm late too the party but...

I just started work on a project that may replace a running system. I need to communicate with several non PLC devices, like serial to ethernet converters.

Is there a way to get raw data from an ethernet device like this? I have several Datalogic scanners that send serial data to the converter for ethernet communication.

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before--there's 34 pages on this thread and I read through 15 of them, lol.

I just started work on a project that may replace a running system. I need to communicate with several non PLC devices, like serial to ethernet converters.

Is there a way to get raw data from an ethernet device like this? I have several Datalogic scanners that send serial data to the converter for ethernet communication.

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before--there's 34 pages on this thread and I read through 15 of them, lol.
Does your serial to Ethernet converters use drivers that map to a COM port on the PC? The data can be received with either the SerialPort object or with a TCP socket, but either case will require a little bit of code.

My converters take serial data from the scanners, convert it to ethernet and I can get that data from the network my current HMI is on.
Does the current HMI get the data through a TCP socket or through a virtual COM port? Is the reason for going through the converter because the HMI hardware is far away from the scanner, as opposed to going directly from the scanner into the HMI.

Data comes into the HMI through a TCP port. I only convert the data from serial so i can view it from several different places via Ethernet. I don't wan't to get the data serially only.

Data comes into the HMI through a TCP port. I only convert the data from serial so i can view it from several different places via Ethernet. I don't wan't to get the data serially only.
Ok. Let me find a generic TCP listener that I have and I will post it in the Additional Components of the AdvancedHMI forum. That will make it very easy by giving you a Toolbox item to add to the form.

Very cool of you to do this Archie! I appreciate it, and eagerly await this functionality. I'll post screens when I get a mature application.
I found a component that is a generic TCP server that listens for data from clients. But I will guess your Serial to Ethernet device is a server also, which means you will need a client component. I will check some more to see if I can find a generic TCP client.

Archie,
Is there a way to do bit of word masking? I have 3 32bit ints that hold status of a bunch of logicals, I'd like to display the the individual statuses on the HMI using the appropriate bits. I'm using modbus to talk to the PLC reading Long holding registers.

Archie,
Is there a way to do bit of word masking? I have 3 32bit ints that hold status of a bunch of logicals, I'd like to display the the individual statuses on the HMI using the appropriate bits. I'm using modbus to talk to the PLC reading Long holding registers.

I've done something similar to display the individual bits in the words. In my case it was 16 bits.
Here is the logic:

Private Sub DataSubscriber1_DataChanged(sender As Object, e As Drivers.Common.PlcComEventArgs) Handles DataSubscriber1.DataChanged
Dim i As Integer = DataSubscriber1.Value
Label1.Text = Convert.ToString(i, 2).PadLeft(16, "0") '16 bits
End Sub

Here is the post:
http://accautomation.ca/building-a-plc-program-that-you-can-be-proud-of-part-6/

Regards,
Garry