Starting RSL500 Wants To Install RSL5

Aabeck

I have an annoying problem that has been going on with my home desktop for a few months, and just today is now happening on my main laptop, but not yet on 2 other laptops and 2 other desktops I use. No changes to the laptop have been made since I opened RSL500 last Friday (no Windows update, no programs installed, etc.)

When I try to open RSLogix500 on those 2 I get a popup from Windows Installer trying to install RSLogix5. The desktop has RSL500 ver 9.05 Pro and this laptop has ver 9.00 Full. All these computers have RSL5 ver 8.00 & RSL/Studio 5K (many versions) installed on them with the licenses on a USB dongle. I searched here & the Rockwell KnowledgeBase and found one thread here mentioning running as administrator - but I already am, otherwise there were problems writing to some folders on the hard drive and the network.

I have tried letting the RSL5 installation go through, putting in the installation CD and going through all the steps, but the next time I opened RSL500 it popped up again. I have repaired and reinstalled RSL500, but no change.

I have been clicking cancel for the last few months, but now on this laptop it takes a while to cancel before RSL500 opens.

I've seen this happen with other software following registry corruption, or when software is copied instead of installing using the original install media.

I haven't seen it with RS500 though.

If you have original disks, I'd suggest a full uninstall followed by reinstall after a reboot in between

I have fought this battle recently also. On mine, it would also pop the install window when trying to "save as" on an RSLogix 5000 project.

I had installed all from a REVS 2.13 hard drive that only had the web version of RSL5 on it. I finally uninstalled that RSL5 and reinstalled from the REVS 2.14. Looked good until the REVS hard drive was unplugged then the same behavior. To "fix it" I copied the msi and CAB files it wanted from the hard drive to C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5 English. I don't have that laptop out at the moment to give you the msi and CAB filenames, sorry, but they are the only two in the RSL5 install directory.

I'm still trying to find what's broken now that causes other software to bomb.

Saffa,

I have tried both repair and uninstall/reboot/install on my home desktop with the original disks, but don't carry them with me on service calls.

Mike,

When I get back I will check the RSL5 disk and copy those files to my drive (RSL5 opens fine on both computers with no popups)
Also when I am done here I will open a RSL5000 project and do a Save As to see if anything pops up then. (no playing on customers time)

Mike,

The 2 RSL5 files copied to the program files folder did the trick on the desktop, but not the laptop.

On the laptop it started working after uninstall/reboot/install.