Connect SLC 5/04 to CompactLogix

lillquist

We currently have a system with a PLC5, SLC 5/04, and a panelview standard. They are all currently talking DH+.
We are upgrading the PLC5 to CompactLogix L33ER which no longer supports DH+ or DF1. Does anybody have some advice on how best to have the new CompactLogix and SLC 5/04 communicate.

We have looked at the 1761-NET-ENI, but it is discontinued so our client doesn't want to use it.
Considering the RTA NET-ENI replacement, has anyone had experience?

We thought about upgrading the SLC 5/04 to a 5/05 but this is quite expensive and we would then have to change communication to the HMI.

We are also looking at the Prosoft Ethernet to DH+ gateway but this only allows communication to be initiated from the Ethernet side, and both the SLC and CompactLogix have MSG commands. Our plan of action is to move the SLC's messgae command to the CompactLogix, but this introduces potential problems we would like to avoid.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
How far apart are the SLC and Compactlogix?

If within 50 feet, you should be able to use serial DF1 protocol. That is assuming both PLCs have serial ports available. If the distance is greater than 100 feet of cable, I would not try it without some sort of signal converter/booster.

The Digi One IAP should work to get the SLC serial port to work with Ethernet MSG communications, but I have not tried to do that with a Compactlogix as the master.

Grr. I get irritated when people replace a PLC-5 with a CompactLogix then express dismay that they don't have the legacy communication features they knew they wouldn't have.

The RTA device connected to the SLC-5/04's serial port is your best bet. You'll spend money on engineering time migrating the MSG instructions, but that's the tradeoff for not buying a 1756-L71 and 1756-DHRIO.

Last edited:
Can the Panelview communicate with the Compact Logix via Ethernet and the SLC serially (DH+ or DF1) simultaneously? Can a script in the Panelview forward the data from the SLC to Compact Logix and from the Compact Logix to the SLC? If the answer to both questions is yes be aware that it will probably take longer to pass data from one PLC to the other than it did using DH+, so take that into consideration as well.

Can the Panelview communicate with the Compact Logix via Ethernet and the SLC serially (DH+ or DF1)

A PanelView Standard cannot, and a PanelView Plus would have to deal with both the obsolete DH+ module and the very weak scripting engine.

I think the RTA DF1/Ethernet gateway will allow the SLC-5/04 and PV Standard to remain on their own small DH+ network without modification, and will allow the CompactLogix and SLC-5/04 to trade data.

If the PanelView Standard was communicating with both the PLC-5 and the SLC-5/04, you're back to Square One.

The Panelview has no communication to the PLC5. So we are leaving the DH+ intact between the SLC and Panelview to avoid messing with the Panelview.

Do you know if that gateway supports bi-directional communication? I only ask because the Prosoft one only supports communication being initiated from the Ethernet side.

Otherwise the RTA gateway is looking like the best bet.

Do you know if that gateway supports bi-directional communication? I only ask because the Prosoft one only supports communication being initiated from the Ethernet side.

Otherwise the RTA gateway is looking like the best bet.

I think so but not positive, by the bullet point below I thought yes

"Auto Detect: Default Auto Baud Rate and Auto Polarity detection"

We have a 30 day money back, so there is no risk if you want to give it a try