Hour Meter

BoxerBrats

Hi i am building a program on a 450 AD plc with a EZ-Touch screen. I wangt go set up to list the hours a motor runs. Is this possible?

The only thing i could think of when the output is energized, to start a 60 second timer, and keep track of how many times it cycles

You can easily maintain a Second-Counter, Minute-Counter, Hour-Counter, and Day-Counter.

The Second-Counter (at 60-sec) trips the Minute-Counter, which (at 60-min) trips the Hour-Counter, which (24-Hr) trips the Day-Counter.... Year-Counter? Don't forget to use the universal formula for Leap-Year!

You can display each number in Integer form.

You can then display the data as...

Day = ......
Hour = ......
Min = ......
Sec = ......

or... as Day:Hr:Min:Sec (Just be sure to include a reading guide).

So, Andy...

If "SP" refers to "Set Point"... what's that got to do with Motor Running?

If "SP" does NOT refer to "Set Point" then, for those that don't know... what are the "SPs"?

Thanks for clarifying that.

Remember, many people, using different PLCs with different capabilities, are viewing these posts.

I recommend providing explanations that are "general enough" for all to understand. Unless, of course, there is a particular coding issue for a particular PLC... but even then, the reply should include a general explanation of the concept for those that use other PLCs.

BoxerBrats said:
Hi i am building a program on a 450 AD plc with a EZ-Touch screen.
I did not know that there were PLCs back in 450 AD, were they made by Rockwell?

RussB said:
I did not know that there were PLCs back in 450 AD, were they made by Rockwell?

Funny...450 AD was kinda the "dark ages" but 450 BC or there abouts the Greeks had all kinds of mechanical controllers & computers for time keeping and navagational pourposes..Then came the Romans, and burnt it all down..

Keeping trak of hours shouldnt be too diffucult. The built in 1 min clock pulse contact would cycle counter 1 (set for 60) to track minutes, and Counter 1 would cycle Counter 2 to track hours (up to 9999 hours)+ 60 = 10000 hours = up to 42 days. If you need more then add another counter to track days.. and so on.

BoxerBrates,

As long as you are using AD PLC, You can use the "Accumulating timer", It has many advanatges than the normal timer:

1- It has a "RESET" input, which is required to intialize the value of this timer. This is because it is "Accumulating", not like the normal timer which resets whenever its "input" goes OFF.
This well help you to easily calculate how many hours the Motor were ruuning even if it's stopped and ran many times.

2- The "Preset" value for this "Accumulating timer" can hold a relative high value (9999999 ?) which can represent many weeks!
Refer to the manual to check this value.

If its "Preset" value is still lower than what you want, then you should use a counter in conjunction with this timer.

Just an idea

Last edited:
This is how I do it. I use one field on the HMI with one decimal place to show 00.0 to 99.9 and another field right next to it to display the higher values.

0015 82.5 for example is 1,582.5 hours. You can adjust the scaling to suit your needs.