OT Programmers Break Times

Prove me wrong lol 🍺
Too complex for our US friends, it has tea as an alternative, perhaps the US have some other typical refreshment (not beer), with the exception of root beer.

Last edited:
Prove me wrong lol 🍺
Too complex for our US friends, it has tea as an alternative, perhaps the US have some other typical refreshment (not beer), with the exception of root beer.

At least 1 person in the US drinks tea! :D

You could remove coffee from those options and I would not mind.

Prove me wrong lol 🍺

I did some programming at an Anheuser Busch brewery in the late 70s, beer was allowed in the break room at that time, in fact it was free in a vending machine! There were however signs on the front telling you that you could be fired for being “demonstrably intoxicated”. But guys used to walk by the break room and punch the buttons to get a few “for the road” at the end of their shift.

That policy ended shortly after my project finished, so probably 1980ish, because too many workers became demonstrably intoxicated on the job. When they negotiated the land to build the brewery, they told the nearby city they would bring 4,000 full time jobs. But when it opened, they had fully automated it (PLC3s) and there were only 1,000 jobs. So the City sued them and an out of court settlement was 2,000 full time jobs. So Anheueser basically had 1,000 people milling around with nothing important to do, plus they gave them free beer. It was a recipe for problems. Different times… but proof that not all things were good things about them.

Last edited:
When I was a teenager, I did a paper round in Burton on Trent (famous for it's beer), I delivered a paper to the breweries allowance room, each worker was allowed 2 pints a day, this could be drunk at work, I used to have a pint every day mon-fri, however, I believe in the late 70's the allowance was stopped but the employees were given tokens they could exchange at the company shop so no more drinking at work, however, I did here a tale about some managers were taking some customers around, they took them over a bridge that connected two parts of the factory, it was noticed that a light was emitting from some pipes on that bridge, they found in one of the expansion bends a small area, hidden by sacks with a table, chairs & a tap into the bright beer line.

Prove me wrong lol 🍺

Tea is all I drink (when working)

Grew up with Scottish grandparents and they never touched coffee.

Plus instead of beer I have to drink Scotch after work to keep the heritage pure.

EDIT: When I was 17 or 18 I took my car to a service station (talk about dating myself) for some repairs. The vending machine was all hand written labels except the bottom button was plain paper. All the mechanics came in, put their 10 cents in (more dating) and pressed the blank button. After a few did this I got in line behind him to see what they were buying and yes, it was Budweiser.

Last edited:
Ah.. that brings back some memories, worked on some RR/GEC power generation skids for an off shore company in the North sea, yes a metal box with nowhere to go.
Coffe & tea was **** (perhaps the water) but found the food was ok.

I believe in the late 70's the allowance was stopped but the employees were given tokens they could exchange at the company shop

My mum works* for a large brewing company and they get an allowance from the company shop, so I always leave her house with a free crate of beer.
Apparently when there's an important meeting they provide a drinks trolley, which is then sent around the offices afterwards to finish off any opened bottles.
They also get to sample new products and get given additional boxes of trial products too.

*this bit of information probably shows my age in the opposite manner to most in this thread!

I once worked at a brewery Called Websters in West Yorkshire. (no longer exists)
We were putting in a centrifuge to clear the beer quicker.
It smelled lovely but there wasn't a drop to drink.
As we were leaving for the final time, the company spiv sidled up and asked if I wanted a barrel of beer for ÂŁ20.
I said yes and he loaded it into my van and threw in the taps and pipes too.
18 gallons of best bitter for ÂŁ20.
I invited all my friends and family to a barbeque with the adage, as much beer as you can drink.

I do remember being told by a person (who was known to be an authority on brewing) that in the 19th & early 20th century there were upto 27 breweries in Burton on Trent, in my youth there were 4 that I know of, there are only 2 now (not including micro breweries), the water was originally drawn from their own wells that can still be seen around the area, apparently there is a massive reservoir under burton the water is special, that's why it is called the heart of the brewing industry in Europe. Sadly, most have either moved or incorporated into large conglomerates. Beer is not real ale anymore but fizzy alcohol.
TBH, I don't think there many large breweries in the UK that are British owned now.
Ind Coope merged with Samuel Allsopp & Sons.
Ind Coope acquired Benskins Watford Brewery, Taylor Walker and Friary Meux
Allied Breweries Ind Coope merged with Tetley Walker of Leeds and Ansells to form Allied Breweries, Allied then acquired William Gaymer, Whiteways, Britvic and John Harvey. Allied Breweries merged with the food and catering group J. Lyons to form Allied Lyons.Then the breweries side was merged with Carlsberg and became Carlsberg-Tetley, which is now part of Carlsberg Group, Ind Coope Burton Brewery was sold by Carlsberg-Tetley to Bass. But a series of take-overs and name changes, it is now owned by Molson Coors and operates as Burton Brewery.
It's sad, but at one time I don't think there was a street in Burton that did not have at least one "PUB" in it or at least on the corner of two streets. some were no more than a couple of terraced houses converted, but they were the hubs of the community, mostly tied & owned by the breweries with landlords who ran them as a sort of franchise.