Proficy Machine Edition Software Training

andydaoust

I've had limited exposure to GE PLC's. The Logic Master programs seemed to be intuitive. We now have a new system of 90-30 and 90-70 plcs and Proficy Machine Edition software. It is horrible to figure out. I'm looking for a class that I can take that will help me out. It would be nice if it got into more advanced programming. Perhaps linking a basic class with an advanced class. I'm not opposed to avoiding GE. What class(es) can you suggest? What instructor have you had that has been good? Thanks!

Andy

No classes to recommend, sorry. I used Versapro and Logicmaster prior to getting Proficy. I am NOT a "GE guy"! Proficy is basically Versapro, you can even look in the directories for Proficy and it's there as Versapro. However, the Proficy environment, I find, is very, very easy to use for ladder logic. The programming is easy to do, and the in-program help is amazing.

A class might help you, but if you know Logicmaster, you shouldn't have much problem. Starting a new project might be the hardest, lol.

Hi

On CD2 you will find some tutorial movies.
I didnt like them myself so only watched about 1 minute of the first so cannot say if they are 'good'

Here is a link to the GEF training website,

http://www.gefanuc.com/as_en/services_support/training_northamerica.html

Check there for training and check with your local distributor. Many times distributors will have general introductory classes.

I have been using GEF since the mid 1980's and have seen the software evolve from LM6 to the current Proficy Machine Edition, believe me PME is the best so far. It does have it's share of issues, but what software doesn't.

The movies may give you some introduction. The paper introductory manual is also on CD2 in pdf format. This helped me get started with the software.

What helped me to learn the software was converting all of our programs from both VersaPro and LM90. You will probably generate errors in the conversions, all of which are correctable.

If you have questions, there are a some quite knowledgeable people who hang out at this forum and the GE forum for Machine Edition.

Once you get the hang of Machine Edition, you will find it easier and more powerful than LM90.

Good Luck!

Hi Everyone,

I've been dealing mostly with AB, Opto22, GE MK5 and 6. My LM experience was from the DOS days. I think I need to spend time with the Movies. I did print out the pdf.

My company wants to send me for training. I thought maybe someone on the board has had an exceptional experience with some training company or instructor.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

GE Plcs are Love.

We are having control issues and I cannot see what is happening because we are not = on the hardware or the program. The OEM didn't leave us with the latest logic.

Can I upload the program and get all the comments? Are they stored in the processor?

There is also Versamax remote i/o. How do I get from the logic world to the screw on the NIU?

These are the current issues. I'm trying to find someone to email the current logic.

Thanks,

Andy

Retreiving Logic

Yes, but its not complete with comments, but you can get the Logic out

when connected to the PLC selected Target.Online Commands.Verify Equality

This will tell you if the two are legitimately NE

If its still NE then make a new project then selected Target.Download "Project" from PLC

This will give you a project with only IO Variables as names and Comment Place holders.

what you want to do is go into your original program right click on the Processor icon at the top of your Variables tab and select Export.

open your New project and in your New projects Variables tab right click on "Variable List" and import.

This will superimpose the authentic variable list into your New projects variable list.

If anything didnt make sense or you need further clarification let me know and ill take screenshots of the process

Last edited:
Proficy Inter PLC Communication methods

For your versamax remote IO let me restate what i assume you meant

You have a remote PLC connected to the network that you want both PLC's to communicate?

If this is what you meant you'll want to use Proficy's EGD function
in the "Project" Tab right click on the processor and select Add Component select "Ethernet Global Data"

It will need to be put on Both PLC's

If thats not allowed on the Versamax processor your using you'll want to use a Comm_Req which you can find in the GE TCP/IP User manual

Hi, Dont you mean Target -> UPLOAD FROM PLC

GE_Plcs_are_Love said:
Yes, but its not complete with comments, but you can get the Logic out

when connected to the PLC selected Target.Online Commands.Verify Equality

This will tell you if the two are legitimately NE

If its still NE then make a new project then selected Target.Download "Project" from PLC

This will give you a project with only IO Variables as names and Comment Place holders.

what you want to do is go into your original program right click on the Processor icon at the top of your Variables tab and select Export.

open your New project and in your New projects Variables tab right click on "Variable List" and import.

This will superimpose the authentic variable list into your New projects variable list.

If anything didnt make sense or you need further clarification let me know and ill take screenshots of the process

Andy,

For your remote I/O we need to know what network your system uses. The most popular would be Genius, Ethernet Global Data (EGD), Profibus, or DeviceNet. The details of mapping the I/O modules to PLC variables will be found in hardware configuration. Tell us which network you're using and whether the network controller is a 90-30 or a 90-70 system and we can give you more detailed instructions on how to work out the mapping. We can also give you the publication numbers of the manuals that you should download. They're all available at the GE Fanuc website.

The remote I/O is devicenet and Genius Bus. The processor is 90-70.

I've been working on something else right now so I'll be a while figuring this out. I'll take all your advice and read the publications and do the tutorials.

Thanks,

Andy

hello, I have a question:
I have uploaded the actual program from my CPU GE 341, we know that this program doesn't have any comments (empty comments)
I have founded two days ago the original program from this CPU GE 341 and this program has the original comments.
The original program have had some changes over time, and the question is:
How can I transfer only "the comments" from the original program to the actual program ?
I was trying using Export & Import Variables ...the results are not good, btw I'm using proficy Machine Edition 6.5
Thanks.

In the GE Series 90-30 PLC the comment text does not reside in the PLC, only the placeholder to indicate that there is a comment in the project file. You will need to open the original project file, then go online with the PLC and upload. That's not a foolproof process because if the file you open differs too much from what is in the PLC, you could lose the comment text. Be sure you make a backup of the original file before uploading.
If you don't have a copy of the project file containing the comment text, you're out of luck.