panelview plus 1000

m_reavis

Hi, I am working a panelview plus 1000 for a conveyor company and I would like to replace the AB screen saver bitmap with the company logo bitmap. Is this possible, if so does anyone have any ideas?

unclear

I assume you are talking about the terminal setup screen. I find the screensaver utility but do not see a way to change the bitmap. only turn it on or off and intensity settings.

thanks

Thanks for the information. I tried to search for that in the knowledge base but have a hard time narrowing the search to a manageable number of hits.

Again, thanks a lot!!

da

ya I got that, I meant the search I did of the ab knowledge base before I posted the question. Anyway the instructions are clear except when they refer to Storage Card2 I assume they mean any storage device including usb flash drives. Also I program with windows 2000 professional the OS for the screen is CE will this be a problem?

One easy way to modify the screen saver is to connect an USB keyboard to the panelview plus. Press, Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Windows_Start_Key at the same time. This will bring up a sort of task manger. Type in control.exe You have to do most of the file management using the browse window, but it works great.

baref00t25 said:
One easy way to modify the screen saver is to connect an USB keyboard to the panelview plus. Press, Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Windows_Start_Key at the same time. This will bring up a sort of task manger. Type in control.exe You have to do most of the file management using the browse window, but it works great.

gooooooood information

thanks again...one more question

Hi, this is good information. I have an unrelated question about uploading a .mer file from a running touchscreen and converting it to an .apa file that can be restored for use in RSView Studio. To me this should be a no brainer, I hate to download a program that may or may not be a match for what is running.

I dont think it allows you to upload. I even tried to upload to the flash card, but the file did not work. You can back up the application that you creat.

The .mer file is not convertible to a .apa file. The idea is that developers can supply you with the runtime file (.mer) but they retain the source code (.apa) as "intellectual property".

This way I can't walk up to a system developed by a competitor and pull their project out of the terminal and modify it to fit my needs. They spend all the time and effort developing a function app and I slide in the back door and copy it.

So, to get the .apa you must have the original source code. Likewise if I develop a C++/VB app, I will provide the runtime to the customer but I won't give them my source code because I have time and money invested in that.

If you must have the source code, you need to have that specified in the contract or specification. You can ask for it afterwards, but you may not get it.

OG

It is possible to convert a .mer file to a .apa file, but it isn't straigh forward. One must pull the .mer file off the Panelview Plus and then run it on their PC. Once run ont he PC it creates a directory with several files. From these files you can place them in RSView ME directory where applications are stored (over the top of an existing one) and the application will load in RSView ME for you to back it up to a .apa file. You will lose certain pieces of information like the alarm lists and global connections. It takes a little playing around with, but you can look through the alarm file and get a good idea of what the alarms were. The last time I had to do this type of conversion on a rather simple 20 screen HMI took me about 4 hours to rebuild.

convert .mer to .apa

does sound a bit involved, I'd like to give it a try but would hope for more detailed information for file locaction, which files and such. I wonder if ab has anything in knowledgebase? I'll give it a look but don't hold out much hope. Let the games begin.
Thanks
Mark