FactoryTalk View ME/SE .APA vs .MER

vkolluru

I understand the .apa file is a application archive file and .mer is a runtime file and I even know how to make them.

I can create them as well as restore an application from both formats using application manager.

Then what are the pros/cons of creating an apa AND mer files.
Can we just keep making some .mer files and forget about the .apa feature.

Seeking some good insight. Thanks in advance.

-Vikram

The .mer file is the compiled runtime file that is actually loaded into the PanelView Plus. The .APA is the archived back-up; since you cannot uncomplie a .mer file and edit it, it is a good idea to keep a back-up of the entire project file (.APA).

This may have been a feature missing in previous versions, but with FactoryTalk View ME (RSView ME 5.0), user can restore the whole application using a .mer file and do whatever changes he/she wants to do and create a new .mer/.apa rename, backup etc etc

Thats why I questioned what is the use of .apa after the latest version.

I am on V5 FT and last time i converted a mer at a customers to do some edits not everything converted, from memory the things that messed up were the comms.

That sounds right. The comm set-up is not part of the .mer file so you won't get that back. I also thought there was something with either alarms or recipes that didn't come back quite right either but I may be off on that one.

Keith

That sounds right. The comm set-up is not part of the .mer file so you won't get that back. I also thought there was something with either alarms or recipes that didn't come back quite right either but I may be off on that one.

Keith

Alarms rings a bell...

I believe if you tried to "extract" and rebuild a .MED file from a .MER file with earlier versions of RS View, you would lose the alarms and the comm settings. I feel it's good practice and really not too much trouble to save a .APA file with the latest version. Kind of like leaving a spare key under the mat when you have locked yourself out, so to speak. I am fighting a situation now where I wished the previous programmer had left the .apa files, or at least put in a "goto configure screen" button. It would make changing the IP adresses much easier.

Mrgumbo,
Which version of FTView or RSView do you have? If you have the latest, then, you may use the transfer utility to delete the existing app on the Panelview, reboot the Panelview and you will get to the IP addres setting.

If you do wish to modify the app to include this config button, then FTView studio does give you the option to save it in earlier versions.

As it says in the first post, .mer files are for runtime and .apa files are for archives. Stick with what each is supposed to do. Rockwell wouldn't create two file types if they served the same purpose (I hope! :ROFLMAO:)

I usually keep the latest runtime and incremental backups of the apa files.

Any particular reason why Rockwell could not make software that would COMPLETELY restore a project ?....

Or would that take too much time away from making sure you cant activate it on more than one computer?... no wait... that doesn't work either.:angr:

Last edited:
Think of things needed in a development package - history of revisions for one - which would not be needed in the current runtime. The runtime should be just large enough to hold what is needed to run. The extra storage in a display just to hold information the runtime doesn't need would add unneeded costs. If you fear loosing the source then protect it. If you are a customer demand the source as part of a project. Then protect it for the valuable thing it is with multiple backups and proper revision control.