Micrologix 1000 replace relay with transistor

e27978

Im looking in to replacing a micrologix 1000 processor
(1761-L32BWA) with relay outputs.We usually need to replace this processor about every 8 months it cycles 30,000 times a day 6-7 days a week. Can this be replaced a micrologix 1000 with tranistor outputs and if so is there anything that I need to change to make this work. any help would be appricated

Dc/Inputs Relay/Outputs AC/Power

The ML1000 does have solid state outputs see PDF below.
Also you might consider an upgrade to a ML1100 or ML1200 with a solid
state output expanison module. ( see PDF below)

Im not woried to much about price im looking for the least complicated way. If I use a 1762-L24BWA controler with a 1762-OB8 output module. Can I use the same program and just change the addresses. It is a relitively small program but I am not a programer. even if I have to start fresh I should be able to figure it out.I Have never written my own just changed other peoples.

Make sure the loads attached to the outputs do not exceed the current ratings of the transistor outputs.

Most likely, you can open your micrologix 1000 program, change the processor type, reassign the I/O addresses and be done with it.

Well I have started to convert my program I/O is fine but I have three errors with OSR instruction I know I have to change the osr instruction with the new type but dont know what I should enter for storage and output.

Last edited:
mgvol said:
Change the OSR instructions to ONS instructions and all will be good.

The Micrologix 1000 uses OSR, but the 1200 uses ONS?!?

You're kidding me right?

AB went and flip flopped on the OSR/ONS thing again? I can accept the mnemonic differences between a PLC5 and a SLC, but among two different micrologix platforms?

I simply cannot understand why ab would do this...

The 1200 and 1500 use OSR's, it's just a different looking instruction. The ONS is the instruction that would work/look the same in a 1200 or 1500. Don't ask me why...

Cycling 30,000 times a day I would definitely use transitor outputs, if the load exceeds the capabilities of the PLC then I would use SSR's to extend load capabilities.

www.crydom.com has good ssr's but Phoenix Contacts and some others have the smaller din rail type that also incorporate led's to show when energized.

If you go with the 1200 they offer output modules capable of up to 7A.

This is one of those situatiions where I would use transitor outputs and SSR's (or something) to isolate and better handle current loads.

Thanks for all the help changed the osr to ons. With no errors.

I beleive I will not exceed the current rating of the outputs.It controls a mac valve bank with five valves four opperating at 8.5 watts 24v . One opperating at 8.0 watts 24v . If I figured this right that should be 1.74 amp. At the most there are three active at one time.

This may be a stupid question... But can you change the program? why do you have to cycle just under 21 times a min?, if its a production (ie. making parts) then I understand, but if its process control you may be able to cycle less times but hold the output longer and achieve the same results

Just thinking...