VMWare Player vs VMWare Workstation

rajy2r

With the advent of Windows 7, i think i am looking into VMWare to run windows XP and older Rockewell Software.

I am unsure as to what the major differences (advantage/disadvantage) between VMWare Player and VMWare workstation are.

I am primarily looking for a setup to program PLC's & HMI's using AB software. I presume other software's will work too in case of a client wanting something different.

So just hoping to find out if its worth shelling the $189 for a workstation or the player has all the tricks in the bag.

Player will do "MOST" everything you need, however I find these 3 features of workstation justify the price tag (if you search the net you'll find 15-25% off coupons)

1 - Cloning (easily duplicates a VM)
2 - Snapshots (allows you to go back and forth between VM states)
3 - Network Editor (allows you to chose specific network adaptors to run from)

I too have VMWare Workstation and it is critical to my work. I probably only use about 60% of it's capabilities. But I do use the snapshot and cloning functions. Why don't you try Player and see if it meets your needs.

I have a demo of VMWare workstation running on my desktop, and it works great. I guess i am not looking for one seat, but looking for a department wise implementation (4-5 PC's/Laptops). Maybe a single VMWare workstation to setup and clone systems. Then everyone can run them in a player.

I guess i am trying to get a feel for how multi-user setups use it as.

I am not too sure why i would use a snapshot.

snapshots are handy to do just before you apply a patch or upgrade to the software. If it goes poorly(and it often does), you just roll back to the snapshot and are back where you started no harm no foul.

If you're planning on using it on several pc's, will you also plan on using the network to transfer files between the VM's? If you're planning on network access to the plc or for HMI definately go with 2 nics and dedicate 1 nic to the vm. You'll want to disable all power management and offloading on the host side. Neither HyperV nor Vmware(any version) can handle heavy utilization of the network from the VM's with certain host nic's, especially if you have a Broadcom (most Dell computers)or Nvidia nic.
Vmware server is free. It also allows remote access to the vm config and console via web browser.
As far as the network editor, it's included in the free vmware server, it is a stand alone and it does work with vmplayer.
I prefer the server. It's free and I can create and manage a vm remotely.

20% Off Workstation

You will easily cover the costs of Workstation by the amount of time your engineers will dink around with settings. If you have multiple nics on your computer, you may run into hassles with VMWare Player, as it picks which one do use...somehow. That is where the network editor saves me time. I have read that yes the network editor it is "stand-alone", but to get it for "free" outside of Workstation you have to go through some processes, which probably would take an hour or so to do.

How much time have you spent trying to figure out which route to go?

I really like VMWare Workstation, but Paully nailed the differences. If you don't need those features, then the free version (Player) may likelyd satisfy your needs.

There's also a utility that lets you mount the vmdk from the host.
http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/diskmount_ws_v55.html

For those that use the player or won't because of the network config or actually lack of, Vmnetcfg is actually included in the vmplayer installer only it isn't installed.
To extract vmnetcfg.exe from the installer do the following:

1. Run the installer with /e option. For example:
VMware-player-3.0.0-197124.exe /e .\extract
Contents will be extracted to “extract” folder.
2. Open “network.cab” and copy vmnetcfg.exe to your installation folder,typically C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\

untitled.GIF

With Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can download Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode. I'm using it for 10 year old version of GE Fanuc VersaPro without problem. Price is right - free.

I'm using the wm ware player for my old S5 for windows, and it works perfectly, i have tried the Windows Virtual pc as well, and I must say I'm not impressed, on my machine it was way to slow for me.

/Brian

Hi
VMWare workstation needs to be purchased. If your company can get a copy of it for you then go for workstation solution.

VMWare player is FREE. If you are a individual then go for player.

I'am using VMWare Player 5.0.0 which is a latest version and look alike of Workstation and with VMWare tools installed I have no reasons for going for workstation. With player you can copy paste files from host to virtual machine, you can share a folder of host machine, which you can then access from virtual machine. All is well with VMWare Player.