Please help view & print SY/MAX 400 programs

jessman

Hello all,
I'm fairly new to PLC programming in general, but it is something I get caught up in more and more since I went out on my own in an electrical business a year ago. I'm trying to help a client upgrade a machine from SY/MAX 400 to AB (micrologix most likely). I have the original files from the PC that came with the machine in 1991, as shown in the attached picture. I have downloaded and am running DOSBOX. I can open SQD.EXE and SFW32.EXE, but I don't know the command to use to load the programs (*.LBL and *.RNG files???).
I really am lost, as I would like these files open to base the new program on OR I'd like these files converted to RSLogix500.

Can anyone help?
Thanks!!

Directory.JPG

This is as far as I get

I have also tried running SQD.EXE and SFW323.EXE from DOS installed in a virtual machine. Still no luck - I just do not know how to load a program (*.RNG or *.LBL file). Here is a screenshot:

The "F" keys help me move around some, but never to a spot where I select the program and load it up.

Please help!

ASFARASIGET.JPG

Please zip all the files, (forum rules, and attach them here. I will try to help. Make more than one zip file if one file is too big to upload.

Thanks, I've attached a zip file of the directory that has the software and the PLC files in it (as far as I know).

What software do you use to open them?

Thanks again,
Jessman

A quick test shows F4 brings up the UTILITY screen, F2 then brings up ROUTE (which shows as NONE) my guess is you have to know the name of the route and enter it here after NEW. (Don't have a PLC to test, so this is a WAG)

Latest

OK -
It looks like I have both SFW374 and SFW323 versions of the programming software. I found a manual for the SFW374 online. It is too big to post, but I bet some of you have it already.

I of course do not have the parallel port key (but the client does have an old PC and it may have the key in it ready to go. It may have the cables and card to connect to the PLC online also).

I also do not have the password. Can any of you crack the SFW.SEC file?

Thanks!

Update - still need help!

OK, so I'm at the customer's location with a PC from 1991 that came with this machine (with the SY/MAX 400 processor), and the customer's PC tech is with me. He kills the machine. Actually he said it went "kaput", which is PC Tech terms for he killed it.

The PC is connected to the PLC via a Spectrum Controls little blue box and a mile of old cable that runs through the plant. The connection may or may not be good, we didn't get that far.

We were not able to access the ladder program (either offline or on the PLC) before the computer went kaput.

Can anyone help open and print the ladder file(s)?

Thank you!

printing files

Hi,
I only found 2 files to print, see attached pdf's. I'm not sure about getting the labels on the 60rev390 file and the yungyu file didn't have a label file in the zip.

OK -
It looks like I have both SFW374 and SFW323 versions of the programming software. I found a manual for the SFW374 online. It is too big to post, but I bet some of you have it already.

I of course do not have the parallel port key (but the client does have an old PC and it may have the key in it ready to go. It may have the cables and card to connect to the PLC online also).

I also do not have the password. Can any of you crack the SFW.SEC file?

Thanks!
To learn how to clear the passwords and enter new or default passwords, see manual 30598-717-01A1.pdf page 3-10. Section 3.4.3.
Just Google the manual number for a link to that manual.

60rev390 label file

Here is the label file printed in pdf and in text. I am still trying to figure out how to merge the ladder and label files to make a labeled printout.

I was able to merge the label and ladder files to make a labeled ladder. I did have to make them in three files due to buffer problems. I also zipped all three files and am attaching all. This is the 60rev390 file.

Thanks!

Thank you so much!

I can actually figure out how this thing works now.

I changed the passwords per the manual, but I can only get "ERROR-SECURITY KEY NOT ATTACHED", as I do not have a Key or even a parallel port on my virtual machine.

What program did you use to open it?

Your software program sfw323 gives me the same error so I used your software file sqd.exe without the software key plugged into the parallel port, although I do have a key. I am using an older computer running WindowsXP Professional. I used a program called DOSprn version 1.84 to redirect the printing port. I use CutePDF Writer to print the ladder to a pdf file.

Last edited:
Came across this forum so though I would ask...

do you know if it is possible to upload (PLC to PC) the label files from a live SyMax PLC? A client is attempting to do so, and from our few attempts, it appears the label file does not reside on the PLC, only the .rng files. We are using the newer Winmate Software and an XP machine. We want to view the label files but assume they can only be found if we can locate them from document archives.

Thanks