Factory Talk question

shoelesscraig

Ok, so here's the scoop!

I have Factory Talk View ME on 2 PCs at my plant. I have 1 concurrent license that I use for them. (For those who aren't familiar with this, this means that I borrow the license for the PC that I want to use the software on...the software can therefore only be used on 1 of the 2 PCs at a time). Anyways...

I've been using this setup for a while and it works great. The other day I went to fire up the program on 1 of the PCs (laptop) and it would NOT start. It gave me a message that said something like the following: "This program requires personalized information that cannot be read. Please contact Rockwell Support".

It does this even if I have the activation on that PC. The software still works great on the other PC. I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling...no luck. I have to go through our corporate IT department to contact Rockwell, and you can take a guess at how speedy that will be. I figured I would ask you guys first to see if anyone has any ideas.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they have installed any security patches or not, I will check with them tomorrow. And I cannot see the KB article b/c it does require a tech contract.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas...(hoping Ken will chime in here!!!!)

I don't have any helpful information on this issue. I haven't seen that error message before, and don't have access to the Knowledgebase anymore.

I'm not sure if they have installed any security patches or not, I will check with them tomorrow. And I cannot see the KB article b/c it does require a tech contract.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas...(hoping Ken will chime in here!!!!)
http://www.cse.sc.edu/~farkas/csce7...session1/group12-valentine.ppt#277,13,Current State of Security in this Area
If the update was installed a log will be in the system root.C:\windows\KB902400.log
Remove it using the Add/remove programs in control panel. appwiz.cpl from the run box

Just to update this issue. I tried uninstalling the "FactoryTalk Services" that was on my PC (I assume that it comes with Studio ME) and reinstalling it...fixed it!! Now it works great! Not sure what happened, but now its good. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

I have Win XP SP3 and yesterday 28th june I installed some windows updates, today I couldn't open FactoryTalk View Studio, I got the same message: "This program requires personalized information that cannot be read. Please contact Rockwell Support".

I did uninstall and install again "FactoryTalk Services", restart computer and then FactoryTalk View Studio opened but another message appeared telling me to stop RSLinx Enterprise service and close RSView before continuing.

I went to Services and found the RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic service were both disabled, so I set them to (start) Automatically.

Now it is working fine. Thanks.

Hi everybody, i need help about this message when i start FactoryTalk View Studio, "this software requires personalized information that cannot be read."
i tested to launch FactoryTalk View Studio from Rockwell Software folder in Program folder (i have windows 7 / 32bits // the version of Factorytalk is 6.1), it gives another error message "Cannot connect to addin object
Name: View Studio SLHMI Project Handler
Cause: 80042089"
who have resolution fot that and i want to avoid uninstalling the software

Ok, so here's the scoop!

I have Factory Talk View ME on 2 PCs at my plant. I have 1 concurrent license that I use for them. (For those who aren't familiar with this, this means that I borrow the license for the PC that I want to use the software on...the software can therefore only be used on 1 of the 2 PCs at a time). Anyways...

I've been using this setup for a while and it works great. The other day I went to fire up the program on 1 of the PCs (laptop) and it would NOT start. It gave me a message that said something like the following: "This program requires personalized information that cannot be read. Please contact Rockwell Support".

It does this even if I have the activation on that PC. The software still works great on the other PC. I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling...no luck. I have to go through our corporate IT department to contact Rockwell, and you can take a guess at how speedy that will be. I figured I would ask you guys first to see if anyone has any ideas.

just go to C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation... then remove the .rnl files from there...
then restat ftv/ftc... by arun koottz

just go to C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation... then remove the .rnl files from there...
then restat ftv/ftc... by arun koottz

This worked for me. I just don't understand what the hell is going on. I also noticed that the date on the .rnl file was over a month old and the system time on the PC running FTV was set back to the same date! Anyone know what the .rnl file is?

Has IT installed security patches on this computer? MS05-51-KB902400
According to RA KB there is a number of possible causes to this.
Here is the link in the KB but it may require a tech contract.
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33255/kw/This%20program%20requires%20personalized%20information%20that%20cannot%20be%20read.%20Please%20contact%20Rockwell%20Support/r_id/113025

That's mean we need to remove MS Security Patches in order to fix the problem? I have tried to remove the security patch from Add/Remove program but popup a window that consist of a list of programs that might not functioning properly if we remove the security patches. Can you guys explain this more details?? Thanks

I have similar error with RSLogix 5000 Mini. What do you guys reckon to be the solution? Should I reinstall the FT Service Platform?? I have FT Studio as well on the PC.