EZ Automation PLC's

Have you seen or used a EZ Automation PLC?

• NOPE!

Votes: 99 70.7%
  • I have seen on or heard of one in use.

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • I have used one, DID NOT like it.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I have used one, DID like it.

Votes: 14 10.0%

• Total voters
I haven't use one in an application. I got one in on a demo, didn't like the terminal strips, the I/O seemed cheezy, and I just did not get an overall feeling of robustness and quality. I found the download procedure clumsy.

On the plus side the programming software was straightforward and easy to use.

It would have to be able to replace the Allen Bradley 5/03 that we prefer to use in both reliability and functionality. I doubt it could so I likely won't see one any time soon.

ChuckM said:
It would have to be able to replace the Allen Bradley 5/03 that we prefer to use in both reliability and functionality. I doubt it could so I likely won't see one any time soon.

I agree with this statement, in the fact that they offer no real reason to switch from what people are currently using. We use AD, and there is no real benefit to switching. Cost is not that much different, and they do not seem to be "industrial"(they look kind of cheesy). I played with the software a little bit, but never bought a PLC to try hands on.

Installed 2, 12 months apart. Had DOA output modules on both.

They will not get a thrid chance.

EZ touch PLC.

There HMI are very robust. The PLC side is the real issue.

Didn't like the software either (Sorry Tom)

I have 3 lines currently running(and i use the word running as a joke).
Our company took out part of the line that was run off of allen-bradley,because some meathead thought they could save money on a new installation,and replaced the a/b with this pile of junk.
We have a ez-t6c-fs-plc, and i can tell you from experience,that they are nothing but ABSOLUTE JUNK.
I can't tell how many touch screens iv'e been thru. Relay contacts that can't handle the current and freeze together.
You have to be careful while pulling the modules out, or you will pull the circuit board right off the back.

I'm currently converting this nightmare back to a/b. Down time on these lines has become too much.

"long live allen-bradley"

I also have no experience with the EZ Automation PLC's, but we have a case erector that came with a EZ automation HMI. I have had to replace/repair that screen 3 times in the last 3 years. The ram on the case erector shakes the screen enough to cause the capacitors inside to break off from time to time.

I would never put one on something we build here, that is for sure.

Bashing aside, they do have their place. I've used them in standalone machines instead of, say, a MicroLogix. At the time the ML didn't support (and mostly still don't) support online editing, unlike the EZ. Yes, there have been issues here and there, but mostly have been pretty solid. Maybe I'm just tenacious...

Agree that the relays could stand to be more robust. I've added arc supression to all of them-- even resistive loads.:rolleyes:

Currently I use them as a way to interface lines with no network access to our SCADA system.

The integrated HMI/PLC units are a neat idea, but personally would rather keep them separate, unless really tight for space.

@RickG, just to keep things straight in my mind, was it a continuous problem on one line, or was it the same problem on all three lines you mentioned in your other post?

Toys!!!

Don't like them either!!! Antiquated.

I understand why you can think of them as Toys. Compared to someone who has hard speced allen bradley all their lives, EZPLCs will not stand a chance.

However, you should also consider the fact that pricewise, its much cheaper. The assumption here is that AB does not sell toys, which is completely true. I would be really upset if I bought a controllogix toy for a couple of thousands compared to an EZPLC for a couple of hundreds

Then there is the typical response "I'd rather drop a couple of thousands and buy my peace of mind" Okay, that is fine, you've worked with AB your whole life and you're comfortable with them. No problem there.

But then, when you get a job that does not require some heavy logic processing application and you spec your AB plc for a couple of thousands versus a TouchPLC from ez for less than 1 thousand with all the needed I/O. Who do you think is going to get the spec?

I've worked with the EZPLCs for over a year now. They run simple applications fine, they do what they are priced to do. You also do not pay for their customer support everytime you want to make a call. Their software is easy to use (compared to say, mitsubishi FX3U) and if all of this does not lure into their benefits. Then you should know they are made in BETTENDORF, IOWA, USA ! go look at your AB micrologix/compactlogix/controllogix, where does it say ? can you guess ? would you trade your peace of mind for bettering the economy of a country that does not even want success for your own ?

Bottom line is, EZHMIs are actually solid, they may have an issue here or there, but given the right troubleshooting they will run for years. EZAutomation is actually part of the original Struthers dunn company, founders of the PLC (or PCC back then it was called)

This does not however, explain the little issues people run into with the PLCs they sell. I agree that they need more quality work and I always disliked the layout of the EZPLCs but they are working on their quality, and they are doing that while also supporting this country's (USA) economy. This lay out is going to change next year by the way, just wait for the new product release and rate it based on your own experience.

I've ran into few issues with the EZTouchPLCs i got from them, but I called their tech support (multiple times) and they were eventually able to fix all my issues, they were very prompt too. It did not cost me a cent to call them but the minutes I used up on my cellphone. I did not need a $5000/year AB support license just to get rerouted all day.

At the end of all this, it is your choice if you would like to drop all that money for your peace of mind, and support another country's economy, or if you want to get out of your comfort zone and work out the hitches with their Techsupport and have the same application done while saving thousands and building a closer relationship to someone who is in your own continent. Like I said, it will require some work and that is fine, take this with a grain of salt.

All my respect to the people on this poll and their opinions, I'll stick with the american products personally.