Ultra3000 Drives

Mad_Poet

Dear Sirs,
I have a machine with four Ultra 3000 drives in it. The Ultraware software
is installed on a computer as part of the machine. We have had three
drives go bad, and successfully replaced and re-loaded all three of them.

The boss 'acquired' three used Ultra 3000 drives. I tried installing two
of them to test them, and both came up with error E-0-4 . And the
Ultraware software did not find the 'new used' drive. (Yes, I unplugged
the other three drives to ensure I did not have two drives at the same
address - the drive to be tested was the only thing on the serial bus.)

The module status LED blinks red, and the manual says it is a overload
or maybe a 'wrong motor' error and that it is recoverable.

I assume the Ultraware could recover from the fault - if I could establish
communications . . . Possibly even factory reset it?

In the manual, It says if the drive is not detected to use 'Recover Communications'
to establish a connection.

If I use this 'Recover Communications' - is there any chance it will cause
the beast to no longer communicate with the other drives?

What should I really do here?
Poet.

I would load the Ultraware software on another computer and use that for testing until you're satisfied it can be connected to the machine's computer.

I may be preaching to the choir here but if this machine is going to be around a while you really want to make a plan to get away from the Ultras. The Ultra 5000 are as rare as hen's teeth (a customer of mine bought all of A-B's inventory) and the 3000 I'm sure is getting to be the same.

OK. This is what I did.
I went to the communications under the Tools menu, and wrote down the communications
settings.

I unplugged the serial cables from all four of the existing drives, and plugged one of
them into my problem child. I ran 120 Vac to the problem child. Then I opened
ultraware and went to the 'Tools' 'Recover Communications' menu. This told me to
power down the drive, click 'Next' then re-apply power to the drive.

It found and established communications. The communications settings were the same
as for the other drives, and the address was '0'. I set it to 4. After that I had no
problems communicating with the drive.

Long story short, I reset the EEPROM to factory settings. Reloaded the drive with
the appropriate parameter set, and got it going. With an error of E-1-1. (No motor
or encoder plugged into it.)

Turned everything off, installed the drive, brought everything back up. Diddled with the
address (I'd picked the wrong address) and finally got everything running again.

Machine working right again. Done.
Poet.