PLC5 online file has no comments

mike3475

Hi, all:
we have PLC5/40E, offline file has comments, but online file has no comments.
for sure online file and offline file are different, any idea to make online file with comments like offline file.
thanks!

In RSLogix5 you can import comments from the top menu. I don't have an installation right now, but I think you can do that from one of the dropdown options.

From file with comments, Tools - Database - ASCII Export. In RSLogix tab, normally leave all four selected and choose a file name. This will create four files with the shown extensions.

In file without comments, Tools - Database - ASCII Import - OK. Select the files you created one at a time with each prompt. Yay! Save it.

Don’t forget to backup first, just in case…

When you first go online and have to upload you can create a new file (which is what was obviously done here) or you can upload usage file and select the offline file that will be used for all descriptions and rung comments - but be warned if any rung was added or deleted the rung comments after that will be on the wrong rung.

Hopefully when you try to get online, you get a screen about "no matching file found!"
1. Click the browse button
2. Navigate to the folder when the offline program is saved
3. click OK.
If that is the only program in that folder, it will probably go online with comments.
If there are multiple programs, you will need to select the desired one.

as i_automation has stated, i use that method.
what i would do is the following.
make a backup copy of your offline file as safety.
go online and upload the program (no comments or any thing)
do a file compare of the file with comments vs the online file
use the different rung view.
if there are no differences, do as i_automation said.
if there are lots of differences, then copy and paste to the online file you saved.
someone may have a better solution.
regard,
james

First the Symbols and comments are not saver in the PLC the exist only is separate files on the programming computer.
If your off line program has them then I would backup that program and files in a safe location.
Then go online with the program you have it will pop up a message telling you the files are different.
Tell the program to upload the online program to the program you have open. When it’s done the program should link the symbols and comments to the correct data table. Then save the program under a different name. Everything should be correct in the new update program.
Then save what you just uploaded and created to under a different name.
Then you are set to go. Ihave had to do this more than a few times

You have to upload and merge.

You take the comments and symbols from a file on your PC and then take the program on the PLC and add comments and symbols.

I have a few 5/25s at my facility (non-enhanced PLC5) and they don't recognize checksums for some reason. I have to upload and merge every time I go online.

You have to upload and merge.

You take the comments and symbols from a file on your PC and then take the program on the PLC and add comments and symbols.

I have a few 5/25s at my facility (non-enhanced PLC5) and they don't recognize checksums for some reason. I have to upload and merge every time I go online.

I saw that with a 5/15 at my last place. It was a little disconcerting the first time I encountered it, until I dug into it and found out that it's normal behavior for that model.

Here is something that people haven't mentioned yet.

Yes, you need to merge the comments, BUT, you can't just use anything for it, the processor names have to match.

I have in the past, needed to change the name of the offline processor name to match the online one before it let me choose that project to merge.