Corrupt .rss file recoverable?

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a machine that has lost its PLC program (we buy & refurbish used machinery). The manufacturer kindly sent us the .rss file. Unfortunately, Outlook seemed to add the .msg file extension after the .rss extension. I removed the .msg extension but now, when I attempt to open the .rss file, I get "Failed to open document" and when I click Ok I get "File open failed - file is corrupt or user does not have access rights to open project".

I did some googling and found this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=63693

There doesn't seem to have been a happy ending there. I wondered if someone would be willing to take a look to see if this is recoverable.

I asked the manufacturer to zip the file first before sending it, so that Outlook wouldn't corrupt it but I get the same error when I try to open it.

As ever, any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm using version 9.00.00 (CPR 9) of RSLogix 500 Pro on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

We have a machine that has lost its PLC program (we buy & refurbish used machinery). The manufacturer kindly sent us the .rss file. Unfortunately, Outlook seemed to add the .msg file extension after the .rss extension. I removed the .msg extension but now, when I attempt to open the .rss file, I get "Failed to open document" and when I click Ok I get "File open failed - file is corrupt or user does not have access rights to open project".

I did some googling and found this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=63693

There doesn't seem to have been a happy ending there. I wondered if someone would be willing to take a look to see if this is recoverable.

I asked the manufacturer to zip the file first before sending it, so that Outlook wouldn't corrupt it but I get the same error when I try to open it.

As ever, any help would be really appreciated.

I'd mail the manufacturer an inexpensive flash drive and ask them to mail it back to me with a copy of the program file. If that doesn't work, then the manufacturer may not be in possession of a functional program backup.

I'd mail the manufacturer an inexpensive flash drive and ask them to mail it back to me with a copy of the program file. If that doesn't work, then the manufacturer may not be in possession of a functional program backup.

I've asked them if they can put it on a memory stick or CD and put it in the mail. I suspect the file they have is corrupt though.

I couldn't open it either... if that makes you feel any better.
Windows 7 with 32 bit processor

Sounds like you saved the email not the attachment or they did the same on their side. Can you put the msg extension back on and open it in outlook?

Any idea what a password might be?

mbIOhsY.jpg

Panic over. The manufacturer has found another file which opens and appears to be the correct one - always a bonus :)

Thanks for your assistance.

I've had the .msg extension added by outlook too- never did figure it out! Would love to know how to fix it- still have the files but can't open them!